What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Case but which one?

doppz92

Premium Member
Hello, I have this 105mm and I would like to have some info on the head stamps. Is it for an L7 105mm cannon mounted on a Centurion? Sorry for the tilted pictures. Thank you.

IMG_8359.jpgIMG_8364.jpgIMG_8363.jpgIMG_8362.jpgIMG_8361.jpg

105MM TK (tank) made by Edward Curran of Cardiff.

The three contiguous circles denote the case is threaded 'UNF'

Are those cracks on the base or scratches?

TimG

Thank you TimG, so I was right thinking it was for the Centurion.

What means 'UNF'?

And yes, these arev cracks and I cannot imagine how they were made, the entire head of the case is bent (see pictures) but there's no particular marks of any kind of shock that could have created the cracks. Any ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8372.jpg
    IMG_8372.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8371.jpg
    IMG_8371.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 28
UNF - Unified Fine Thread, prior to this Whitworth form was the norm.

It appears the threads on yours have been stripped.

TimG

It appears that the primer threads may have been removed with a hydraulic punch tool. This could have also caused the cracks.

This may have been done to make the case unusable before it was disposed of for scrap metal.

I have also seen steel cases with the primer threads burned out with a cutting torch.

To cause that sort of depression and actually cause multiple cracks in the brass, I would image whatever caused it was of a very violent nature.

TimG

Thanks Falcon and TimG, my first thought was some kind of demil with a very powerful punch, you confirm my idea. Cheers.

20210217_091829.jpg20210217_091905.jpg

Greetings
Just for interest and because i have also been curious about how & why this happened.....
Attached photos of a Russian 130x846R case with similar damage.
Dethreaded primer hole and concaved base.....
Interesting. I acquired it in NZ from an unknown European source

its almost like the primer has been pushed through into the case to remove it,probably with a large hydraulic press.this would explain the base cracks and destroyed thread.this would be a simple way to remove the primers safely without having to try and unscrew them

The drawing number - RW244 - could also help to positively identify the case but then you would need to find the drawing to give you that info.