Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks

Looking for help

Evening all, I am noticing a huge rise in the number of posts on social media from uk metal detectorists showing finds of live dug ordnance, many asking for identification or advice. The stupidity of the answers is beyond unbelievable and in the majority of cases it could have a potentially fatal outcome. What I’m hoping is that either a serving or ex EOD bod would put a short guidance piece together in a professional capacity for me, stating the obvious , “if in any doubt treat as live and dangerous, mark, call civ pol etc, and the reasons why, that I can then forward to group admins to add as a sticky to the various groups pages. There seems to be the misconception that they will get into bother for making a report or have to pay for EOC attending! I hasten to add I’m not asking anyone to give any kind of advice on identification or what’s safe, just the procedure to follow to get finds dealt with by the proper authority’s. Big ask I know but if it stops someone loosing a hand or a life it’s worth a shot. Cheers
    any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts was found at work and disposed of by military eod

Premium Member
    Thanks
    not only do detectorists bring home dangerous bits so do divers. I wrote an article for Diver magazine on what was out there and why it was still dangerous. I think you are asking in the correct place as we collectors do not want our hobby brought into disrepute by 'idiots' nor the law making things difficult fr us in an attempt to prevent people endangering others. My personal opinion and no reflection on BOCN or ECRA policies.

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    Yes I can imagine, I’ve too have tried to point out on these posts the dangers of dug ordnance when and where I can but unfortunately it seems to fall on deft ears, even been called a snowflake on numerous occasions. Because I can’t back it up with being an ATO, even though I work with and around both current and legacy OEM daily and have done for the last 20 years I’m seen as over reactive
    any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts was found at work and disposed of by military eod

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 770 Posts
    Hello old pal hows things..sending you a private message

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Site administrator. damned if i do..damned if i dont

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    Hello there fella, been a long time! Got it, that’s Brilliant

Images
    Thanks
    Some of you may have also noticed a fb group's posts showing videos of them letting off propellants and other items for inside unfired ordnance in their back gardens and would you believe in the street, also telling them its easy to just drill out and dismantling shells and fuzes then burning them off
    Last edited by magpie; 17th February 2021 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Some of you may have also noticed a fb group's posts showing videos of them letting off propellants and other items for inside unfired ordnance in their back gardens and would you believe in the street, also telling them its easy to just drill out and dismantling shells and fuzes then burning them off

How has this not been noticed by the authorities?
    Last edited by Falcon; 18th February 2021 at 11:28 PM.

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    How has this not been noticed by the authorities?
    Certainly makes you wonder doesn’t it

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    We had a bloke in my home town do the responsible thing after he went magnet fishing and pulled out a British grenade. It was taken to a field and destroyed.

Sounds like some of those Facebook people want to fall over each other for a Darwin Award; utterly senseless!
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

Images
    Thanks
    Putting aside that they may hurt themselves it's the damage that it could do to yours and mine as hobby and for some half a lifetimes worth of collecting and the enjoyment we all have from it.