What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'The forgotten soldier' book

starshell

Premium Member
Just finished a great book called 'The forgotten soldier' by Guy Sajer. A superb and harrowing account of his service as a German infantry soldier on the Eastern front in Russia. The poor bloke was just a teenager serving with the Gross Deutschland unit, and really was right in the thick of it. Interestingly, his German was poor, his having spoke mostly French, having one parent who was German, the other French... A must read.

Totally agree. I don't believe he's has made up this long story (as some people tried to prove). But even if he did, it was still a great account.

I'm inclined to agree with you too, I don't believe this is a made up account based on his observation of the events surrounding him. This guy was absolutely shaken to the core with all that he was seeing unfold before him, and was, after all just a young, very frightened soldier wanting desperately for it all to end (his words, not mine). Just when you reach a new chapter and think it can't get any worse, it does.