What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Projectiles

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I am looking for the IDs on these projectiles.

Joe

Attachments

• 6809266.jpg
    6809266.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 117
One on the right is an APDS round.

Oh, and I think the one in the middile is called Steve.

From the left:

1. 2 pdr AT gun shot
2. 40mm Bofors AP
3. 2 pdr AT gun APCBC-T
4. 6 pdr AT gun APDS

I believe the 4th is a 17Pdr APDS-T. Its almost twice the diameter of the 40mm ones.

It's a 6-pdr. You can actually read the markings on the body in the photo and the shape of the 17-pdr is slightly different - the sabot is more rounded.
Subcalproj.jpg

The British were very careful about stamping this kind of information on the projectiles themselves and you can even see them in the pictures. For example taking the second from the right, you can read "APCBC" which is the type, followed on the second line by "2-Pr" which is the gun and it should be followed by the mark "Mk ..." (it's behind the curve of the shell so I can't read it).

Proper nomenclature should be something along the lines of "Shot, Q.F, Armour-Piercing-Capped-Ballistic-Capped, 2-Pr, Mark I"

Unfortunately I don't have any of the manuals for the QF 2-pr and QF 6-pr, so I can't help you with these, but I'm sure someone else here knows...