What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Subcaliber device ID (different item)

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I picked this up yesterday, I’m looking for some information regarding whose it was and for what rounds/gun. It is a 37mm, and appears to perhaps be French, or at least French manufacture, perhaps for export. A wire/thin rod pushed into the base releases a detent that allows the base to unscrew, it takes a .22 rimfire. It does not match any of my 37s in length, but is a fair match on the shoulder to a French Hotchkiss that I have. It is well marked, any additional information is appreciated.

DSC_0846.jpgDSC_0846b.jpg IMG_2593.jpg IMG_2594.jpg IMG_2595.jpg IMG_2596.jpg

Nice one, never seen before.
Yes french made (MAS : manufacture d'armes de St Etienne)

Certianly a more useful upgrade to the 11mm kind. I think the longer length is simply to allow
a longer barrell for accuracy. It would work in any 37x94 type and the M1916 37mm cannon were still
very much on issue as were 37mm tank cannon in France. It also would have been useful in the U.S. as
the American 1916 guns were still on issue with the 6 ton Tanks and perhaps some of these were purchased. Though one might expect an American
Ordnance stamp in that case. The way perhaps to sort this out is to find out if the 22LR cartridge was also called the "22LR" in France to see if this
is made for export to the U.S. or the term 22LR was common usage in France also.

A quick search turns up this French 22 Long Rifle box, so the English terminology for this round seems to be generic.

A very nice item to find.

I show an example of the 11mm French subcal. In the U.S. there were American made subcal rounds that the Navy used in 1pr guns.
But those were chambered for the Krag cartridge I believe.

I presume the comparison case is a 37x94 as the projectile appears a touch long, or is that just me :tinysmile_cry_t2:.

Attachments

• 11mmSubcalPqrts.jpg
    11mmSubcalPqrts.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 11mm37x94.jpg
    11mm37x94.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 2.59.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 2.59.53 PM.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Certianly a more useful upgrade to the 11mm kind. I think the longer length is simply to allow
a longer barrell for accuracy. It would work in any 37x94 type and the M1916 37mm cannon were still
very much on issue as were 37mm tank cannon in France. It also would have been useful in the U.S. as
the American 1916 guns were still on issue with the 6 ton Tanks and perhaps some of these were purchased. Though one might expect an American
Ordnance stamp in that case. The way perhaps to sort this out is to find out if the 22LR cartridge was also called the "22LR" in France to see if this
is made for export to the U.S. or the term 22LR was common usage in France also.

A quick search turns up this French 22 Long Rifle box, so the English terminology for this round seems to be generic.

A very nice item to find.

I show an example of the 11mm French subcal. In the U.S. there were American made subcal rounds that the Navy used in 1pr guns.
But those were chambered for the Krag cartridge I believe.

I presume the comparison case is a 37x94 as the projectile appears a touch long, or is that just me :tinysmile_cry_t2:.

22LR is also a common designation in France.
Found nothing with 37mm and MAS manufacture.

Last edited:
I received this in a PM from the IAA forum, "perhaps old bulletin from AFERHM (French IAA)" -

0004.jpg

Hallo,
till the 90s we had a belgian tank-garrison here in town. They had built a few miles long concrete road from the garrison through the forest to their training aerea. Near the garrison buildings, just when entering the forest, there was a small shooting range carved out, may be 20 x 10m. The targets were small tank-silhouette steel plates. I never saw them firing, but apparently the tanks fired from the concrete road, with .22 lR rounds onto these steelplate targets moving around on an endless chain. The shooting-distance can't have been more than 20m. The above subcaliber round may have been used then.
Bellifortis.

Such Training devices like chamber- or barrelinserts are such a big field and almost no offical documentation exists. At least not in offical manuals - most times only in small scale printed instructions.