What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for these German-made cartridges please

charley777

Greetings to all
Couple of cartridge cases on an auction site.
Measurements quoted as 135mm long and 90mm diameter.
Trying to find out if that is neck end or rim end...
They don't look obviously cut down.
Marked 1898 and 1899.20210301_085246.jpg20210301_085351.jpg20210301_085416.jpg20210301_085322.jpg

Hi Charley777,
I think your cases are 7.7cm Manoever Kartuschen, which are usually very early 7.7cm cut down cases, this being very well made and the inside of the case being lathed, however they usually are 100 mm long, not 135. When the 7.7cm Field Gun was introduced in 1896, casings were very expensive and always reloaded several times, some were then turned into Manoever Kartuschen or wooden drill rounds.Chances are you will find several reloading marks on the side of the rim, usually up to 10 or 12. I'll be curious to know how many times yours were reloaded.
Frank

Sorry, but you are wrong about this. The cases are 77x132R "Feldkartuschhülsen 96" for the F.K.C/96. But your are right about the Manöverkartuschen if cases are cut to 100mm length they are Man. Karth. but the older Manöverkartuschen used full length 77x132R. But as these were not laquered inside and Carleys case shows black laquer his cases were live charged.

@Charley777: Congratulations, you found two rare cases! In my country they virtually don't exist. They seem to be more common in (southern) Africa.

Last edited:
Thanks very much gentlemen...
Now to win the auction ... but your information will increase my bids considerably!
There are plenty of resettled southern African people in NZ. "White flight" they call it.
Anyway i have scored various S African cases over the years.
Cheers!

Hi Alpini,
You lost me there. I thought the cases for the 7.7cm field gun were 230mm long from the very begining? But judging by the dates on these, it means there was 2 different type of cases that were used at the same time? As I said, I am completely lost.
Thanks
Frank

The 230mm long cases were introduced 1905 with the F.K. 96 n/A. Old stocks 77x132R where converted until ~1910 to 77x230R