What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb tail fins

Dwight

I recently had the chance to buy two bomb tail fins. The seller stated that they were English or American fins from WW2 and that they were in nice condition. After returning home I had a closer look, and found out that they must be German. They are IMHO in good condition and they are marked. The height is 63 cm and the width is 36,5 cm. The paint looks original but I am not sure. After doing some research, I think these fins could be for a German 250 kg bomb. Am I right? I am grateful for any information!

Since I have a pair, I am thinking of putting a suitable glass plate on top of the fins and use it as a table!

4.jpg5.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

I think you are right, the dimensions and construction perfectly fit a German 250 kg class bomb.
If we assume, the paint is original and the tails were removed from complete bombs, they probably were incendiaries (Brand C 250) or smoke ones (NC 250 S), as SC (demolition) and SD (splinter) class bombs were marked with longitudinal yellow (SC) and red (SD) stripes on their tail cones from around 1940/41 while sand-gray RAL 7027 painting of all bombs was introduced on August 1, 1942.

Many thanks for the detailed information! Very interesting to know what type of bombs these tails were used on. The tails are nicely marked. Does anyone have information regarding the meaning of the numbers and the letters "VO"?

My new table!

6.jpg