What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get more British than this

The Lightning was my all time favourite jet fighter. When they were used in the RAF display team - The Blue Diamonds - you could feel the ground shake as they passed overhead. One of my civil flying instructors was an ex RAF mechanic who, after leaving the RAF went to work for the Saudi Air Force. One day he went up for a 'test flight' with the Saudi squadron Leader in the side by side two seater. At the end of the take off the stick was pulled back and it went vertical to 60,000 feet in less than 3 minutes. Astonishing for a design so old.

Last edited:
remember seeing one of the last displays at Farnbourgh of a lightening. Saab Vigan latest and greatest showed off and how fast it would climb, then the lightening showed the crowd just how to do it.

Until quite recently there was a company in South Africa that had some privately owned lightnings. It was possible for passengers to pay for flights.

They lost permission to do that after a pilot died in a Lightning crash at an airshow. They apparently do still have one airworthy.

There are no Lightnings left in the UK with permission to fly. I have heard rumours that the reason for it is that the UK government don't like the idea of something faster than its modern jets in civilian hands.

I travelled to Binbrook in the mid 1980s after it was announced that the last three squadrons were to be taken out of service. I watched mesmerised as a Lightning took off, adopted an angle of about 60 degrees and kept on going until it had left my sight. Awesome power!