What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Late Production 25pr.

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I came across this case for a 25pr today, I was surprised they were still being made in 1986, and filled in 1992. A foreign contract presumably?

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg
IMG_5135.jpg

True Tim but that was for ceremonial duties only. The 25pr was out of frontline service in the early 1980s I think. These cases are for proof of HE shell.

The 25 pdr is still around in odd corners of the world. According to Jane's Ammunition, Pakistan retains the ability to make the ammo and has supplied some to Myanmar.

Apparently not, 1992 was the last time they live fired it, it was retained for a while afterwards for ceremonial duties. There was also, I recall, a UK establishment of the likes of RARDE or Shrivenham, that maintained at least one live firing 25Pr for scientific purposes until the late 1990s. The Irish Army were live firing until the mid 2000s but towards the end were having to source the ammunition from POF.

Sourcing new projectiles (for UK use) might have proved a little problematical as ROF Patricroft, possibly the last place in the UK to make 25Pr projectiles, closed in 1989.

TimG

Apparently not, 1992 was the last time they live fired it, it was retained for a while afterwards for ceremonial duties.

Was at the HAC about 3 years ago and they had 2 sitting out the front waiting to be picked up for something along with a spartan. All chucked on the back of a low loader and off to do something somewhere.