What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

protection paint on German WW1 bare metal fuzes?

flintman

Hello to all of you and greetings from Germany!

I am working on a cutaway model of a German 7,7 long shell using an EKZ16 fuse. The fuse has a bare steel body and I could imagine that it would be prone to rust if it didn´t have any kind of protection when it was made back in WW1.
Does anybody have information if German WW1 bare steel fuses had any kind of protection paint on them? If so, what color would the paint be?

cheers
Andy (flintman)

Hello and welcome to the BOCN, Andy!

I guess your question would attract more attention when postet in the "fuzes"-Section.

Greetings from Germany to Germany,

Sigges

Hello and welcome here,

...of course they did rust prevention. But the question can't be answered in a few sentences because it wasn't done with a simple color. Until February 1918 many methods were allowed like the "Orthoman-Verfahren", Copper-plating, Brass-plating, "Scherardisieren", galvanically Zinc coating, browning, "burning in oil" or lacquering with "Marxol" (whatever it is). Also asphalt laquer was used (if anyone knows a good one, I could need a small amount). After Feb. 1918 the "Schmiddingsche Rostschutzverfahren" (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Schmidding) became mandatory for some listed iron fuze parts (not the EKZ16, as it was to late in 1918 for the EKZ16) and preferred for the remaining iron parts. But stocks of older rust prevention materials had to be used up. The Schmidding procedure used a bath of hot "Rostschutzsäure" ("rust prevention acid") = phosphoric acid in which 50/50 manganese oxide/manganese dioxide was solved. The procedure was examined by the prusian Militärversuchsamt and proven to be better than most other methods and more economic.

Hello Alpini,

Thank you so much! You have amazing knowledge on that topic and that really helps me a lot to carry on!

cheers
Andy

Thank you, looks interesting. I have seen similar "cover" laquers for gold plating here. Is it possible to apply this laquer in a very thin layer with still good coverage? And does it get a good hardness after drying so that the fingers don't become black when touching it?

I am looking for a laquer which looks like the fender of the old dodge shown here: https://omnia-online.jimdofree.com/historische-materialien/

Last edited: