What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified large brass casing

I have this brass casing I had acquired with a 1945 dated 5”/38 casing. I know little about naval cases. Information: 16 3/4” tall, 4 3/4” diameter at the mouth, 5 1/4” across the rim of the head case. No markings except for two impressed “ X” s on the head case. I suspect it to be a cut down signal case for a naval gun. It is pictured next to a 105H for scale. FC1D4972-78C8-4CC3-83A7-0B4B6555AD6C.jpegAny ideas?

More photos will be necessary to help you. Even if its relatively blank, an image of the base to see the primer hole shape, etc can be a huge help.

I noticed my picture shows an “ X” and a “4”? Maybe a Navy 4” cut down casing for signaling?

Normally signal casings I have seen are old full length casings that were chopped and resused, so I haven't seen one before that is just for signalling from the start. The style of casing certaintly looks pre ww2, is the primer hole threaded or just smooth?

Primer pocket is smooth. I am in thinking it is an older Navy 4”, cut down for signaling or barrel clearing.
I have once seen a cut down 5”38 that had an “X” over some markings, and it was ink marked “ for signaling only”, I will have to find the pic. The patina on this is very dark brown suggesting considerable age?

Attachments

• 7632AC81-52C5-475D-B3FF-C0C40587DB4C.jpg
    7632AC81-52C5-475D-B3FF-C0C40587DB4C.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm at work right now so no pictures, but my 4-inch case is clearly marked and dated (1918 I think). That doesn't mean yours is something else, but adds to the mix -

The dimensions of yours are remarkably similar to 4.7 inch gun casings, however i need to confirm this for certain with another source. As to why the casing has so little markings I have no clue, in addition to having no crimping indentations as expected wtih the fixed 4.7 ammo.

I'm at work right now so no pictures, but my 4-inch case is clearly marked and dated (1918 I think). That doesn't mean yours is something else, but adds to the mix -
As some stated the lack of markings makes this a tough one to ID. Looking at the head case, the “ X” is clear, the other marking looks like a “4”.