What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military medals

sksvlad

I have a truly international question about military medals.
I must preamble my question by saying that I have never served in any military or uniformed services.
I have walked into BX at Shaw AFB and found a major section with medals. There was a Marine girl buying something from that section and I asked her if she had to buy her own medals if she would be awarded them by the Corps. She said "Yes".
Do other military forces compel their own members into buying their own awards OR those medals are paid for by the government?
I have my grandfather's medals from IIWW which are made of real gold and silver. And if he had to buy them, he would be ruined financially for the rest of his life.
DSCF5608.jpgDSCF5609.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the '70s, one was awarded and presented (free) the first issue. Any extras would need to be purchased. I would hope that's still the case.

In UK, my General Service Medal (GSM) was free but when I was promoted to Sergeant I had to buy the corresponding miniature (£8) that I wore with my mess kit (£174), which I also had to buy. The difference in pay between a Corporal and a Sergeant was then about £1 per day. Add Sergeants' mess bills of about £20 per month and having to pay twice as much in accommodation fees as when I was a Corporal, for half the space, I was no better off. I didn't break even for at least two years.

In Belgium (Air Force) you also have to buy your own medals (service years, marches, participations on foreign missions,...), but there are exceptions where the medals are givven by the government/Nato/other countries (but that's mostly for the higer officers...).

It is a couple of years since I left the Czech armed forces, but I never had to buy a medal.
Did not get many as I did not deploy. My first was after 5 years with a unit.
It always struck me as strange seeingn foreign soldiers just out of training with half a row of ribbons.

Bob

As Slick said, first one is awarded, if you need more you purchase. The ribbons get beat up if you have to wear your Class A uniform very often, sometimes you want one for the uniform you wear, others for inspection purposes, etc. It should be noted that US enlisted (not officers) also have historically received a monthly uniform allowance for upkeep and replacement of uniform components. Never really seemed to be enough, and most troops never separated it, just spent it, but it was there.

I just want to throw another "complication" into this thread--hoping to add to the excellent answers by Slick, and US-Subs:
In "the old days" there were differing quality of "medals" available. The "issue" medals--free for the first one as posted above--were of lower quality and appearance than the "AAFES" quality medals. As a portion of anyone's promotion included a careful scrutiny of the official photo, many people bought the "AAFES" quality medals at least for the picture. Marines were particularly fanatic about the appearance of their uniforms, from "PT" to "fatigue" to "Class As" as I recall. Years later AAFES won the contract to run Military Clothing Sales Stores (MCSS) and gradually the "issue" accoutrements (don't hear that word in the "bomb dump" very often) disappeared and only AAFES quality was readily available. "Issue" medals were--and I think still are--available, but they are of a similar quality and appearance. Not sure about USMC/NEX.