What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early 37mm Identification

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Been asked to assist on the identification on this early 37mm. The owner knows nothing about ordnance, grandfather was in France in WWI. While the projectile looks fairly generic, I don't think I've seen anything with a shoulder this sharp on the case. Gordon? BTW, I asked for better photos, these are them -

thumbnail_IMG_2119.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2121.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2122.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2149.jpg

The case looks like it could be lathe turned rather than drawn.

I am thinking it may be a display piece made to look like a cartridge as it also has no driving band.

I wonder if the "projectile" unscrews or otherwise separates. There may be a cigarette lighter or similar underneath it.

EDIT: It looks like I was typing this reply at the same time as Burney Davis.

This person, as in the person who asked USSUBS, posted the same item on a ordnance group on facebook and was given nearly the same responses I am already seeing here. Guess he didn't like our evaluations.

I've no idea - but if there was to be a 37mm rimfire this is it ! - some kind of mock up, does the top unscrew ?

All I got was the pictures, no further information.