What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm case ID (1)

Burney Davis

Premium Member
This case measures 75 x 276 x 90R mm. Obviously made by Schneider (date?) for the Model 1907 gun but for which country? Has a German primer and inspector stamp and two other dates. It seems a strange combination. Any help deciphering and information on the projectile it would fit greatly appreciated.

20210402_163633.jpg

Hi Darrel this case I think was made for Bulgaria, the combination of Cyrillic script, French manufacture and German primer. Bulgarian cases do turn up in the UK as they were brought home as souvenirs from the Salonica campaign, although I have only found mountain gun cases personally. Nice find and a reminder of a forgotten part of WW1.

Hi Darrel this case I think was made for Bulgaria, the combination of Cyrillic script, French manufacture and German primer. Bulgarian cases do turn up in the UK as they were brought home as souvenirs from the Salonica campaign, although I have only found mountain gun cases personally. Nice find and a reminder of a forgotten part of WW1.

Thanks Steve. Any idea about the projectile?

Almost everything, different language, headstamp layout. Different cyrillic alphabets. Your 2nd case is really Bulgarian - compare these details. Cyrillic letters and made by Schneider are the only things both cases share.

Almost everything, different language, headstamp layout. Different cyrillic alphabets. Your 2nd case is really Bulgarian - compare these details. Cyrillic letters and made by Schneider are the only things both cases share.

Thanks Alpini, but what I waned to know is there one particular letter that denotes the case as being Serbian or Bulgarian or even Russian. Or was the alphabet the same for all three?

Hi,

I am not an expert for east european languages so Russian/Bulgarian members may correct me. The combined letter "љ" should exist only in serbian alphabet so пољски = serbian. The bulgarian alpabet is the same as the russian cyrillic alphabet. The old-cyrillic style of the letters I only know from bulgarian cases. полско should then be bulgarian. The usage of "orudie" instead of "top" as word for cannon is also typical bulgarian for me and correspond with the official names of the guns.

Last edited:
The M1907 Schneider-Canet gun was in the Serbian service, Bulgaria used the M1904. The Serbian designation of the gun is 75 мм. пољски топ М. 1907 Шнаjдер