Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Thanks

"George" Kawanishi N1K

My question is about Kawanishi "George" fighter plane. It has a 4 blade propeller. I was told that American IIWW fighter planes had 3 blades, and if one sees a 4 blade version, it is a post IIWW make. But it appears that Japanese have had a 4 blade version during IIWW. It is easy to see, even for me, that a 4 blade version would have more forward power. How come Allies did not copy 4 blades? Or am I totally off on my info?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Your info is off. There were four blade props used on planes during WW2 (and before, even in WW1). Do a google search around WW2 aircraft and you will find suitable images.

I’m not an aircraft enthusiast but Typhoon and Hurricane come to mind, and this photo from wikipedia is a US P51 Mustang in Italy, 1944.

Incidentally a two blade is more efficient, but the diameter required relevant to engine power is too long for ground clearance, so multiple blade designs using shorter blades are used. There is discussion on various aircraft forums about blade numbers. A google search will bring these up.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wanted: Baton/Irritant rounds (inert) and associated items, .700 NE (inert) and boxes (empty), .32-40 cartridge boxes (empty), WW2 British shotgun cartridge boxes (empty), Greener Police Gun cartridge boxes (empty). Message me if you have any of these items for sale/trade.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reccetrooper For This Useful Post:

sksvlad (7th April 2021)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Not on the Hurricane, either 2 blade (early) or later 3 blade. UK Typhoon/Tempest family

US fighters, P-47 thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang,..fighter bombers like the (admittedly twin engine) P-61 Blackwidow, dive bombers SBD2C Helldiver, etc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kahu1 For This Useful Post:

sksvlad (7th April 2021)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kahu1 View Post
    Not on the Hurricane, either 2 blade (early) or later 3 blade. UK Typhoon/Tempest family

US fighters, P-47 thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang,..fighter bombers like the (admittedly twin engine) P-61 Blackwidow, dive bombers SBD2C Helldiver, etc
    Hurricane Mk V. Same four blade propeller as fitted on the Spitfire IX.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by reccetrooper; 7th April 2021 at 05:56 PM.
    Wanted: Baton/Irritant rounds (inert) and associated items, .700 NE (inert) and boxes (empty), .32-40 cartridge boxes (empty), WW2 British shotgun cartridge boxes (empty), Greener Police Gun cartridge boxes (empty). Message me if you have any of these items for sale/trade.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reccetrooper For This Useful Post:

sksvlad (7th April 2021)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Noted, though that 4 blade Hurricane would have only been an experimental fitting, not in service/operational.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kahu1 For This Useful Post:

reccetrooper (8th April 2021), sksvlad (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    If less blades is more efficient, how come Hawkeye E-2 has 8 blades?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sksvlad View Post
    If less blades is more efficient, how come Hawkeye E-2 has 8 blades?

Read the efficiency paragraph on this link
    https://hartzellprop.com/are-more-pr...blades-better/

The possible maximum length of a two blade prop is restricted by the clearance height from the ground, that is the reason given on most forum discussions as the reason for adding extra blades.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to reccetrooper For This Useful Post:

sksvlad (8th April 2021)