What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stinger Missile Full Scale Model

M8owner

I was going to post that I had found an actual missile. However, some of our members make it seem like the US Government cannot take a joke - I know it does not deal with humor well. So, to be clear - US Government - do not kick in my door as this is only a model!

I decided that I was not going to find a real one, so I took matters into my own hands. It was not cheap to make; $300 in materials plus several days of machining time. The fins even fold up. My son is taking a CNC machining course currently. Who knows, you might be seeing these produced and on the market soon.

Attachments

• Replica Stinger Missile.jpg
    Replica Stinger Missile.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 192
  • replica Stinger fins.jpg
    replica Stinger fins.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 154
I saw this Stinger launching tube in a store museum recently. Looks like the FIM-92A model by the stencil.

Attachments

• B990A9FB-BD5B-4CFD-A287-B0ED422477A3.jpg
    B990A9FB-BD5B-4CFD-A287-B0ED422477A3.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 126
  • 34FB1A5A-D325-4112-87F9-23953EF85F78.jpg
    34FB1A5A-D325-4112-87F9-23953EF85F78.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 130
I wish I had your skills and time (plus all the machine toys!!!)- fantastic work!

Cheers
Drew

The guidance fins are also spring loaded.

Attachments

• replica Stinger fins 2.jpg
    replica Stinger fins 2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 78
I have started work on a production version of the Stinger missile model - my son is really doing all the work. Here is the first part to be 3D printed - a rear fin. That is a range pick up tail fin section - not mine.

Attachments

• Printed Stinger Fin.jpg
    Printed Stinger Fin.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 84
Excellent work! The bolts holding the back fins on are hell for stout, on your first model!

There was a Stinger on display in the Marshall Space Flight Museum in Huntsville the last time I was there. I didn't have a camera at the time, but had a buddy that visited there shoot a bunch of photos.

The front steering vanes pop out, but also rotate to steer the missile. Just in case you want to add more detail.

I think the piece that holds the rear fins and allows them to lock open is investment cast. It would be a great piece to do in metal with a 3D printer!

Last edited:
Only took four months of constant pestering to get the next product improvement.

Attachments

• Stinger fins 3.jpg
    Stinger fins 3.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 34
Here is my second generation Stinger missile model with a much improved seeker head - more like the original; I found an acrylic dome that was a better size match. I am working on a third generation to make it simpler and reduce cost.

Attachments

• new stinger model.jpg
    new stinger model.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 38
  • new stinger model1.jpg
    new stinger model1.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 27
  • new stinger model2.jpg
    new stinger model2.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 34
  • new stinger model3.jpg
    new stinger model3.jpg