What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish (?) 40mm Bofors cart case ID help

Darkman

A friend has this 40mm L60 Bofors case. Possibly Swedish, does anyone know the maker AS or SA and the year of manufacture please? Unlikely to be 1930, but theoretically possible.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• Bofors case 1.JPG
    Bofors case 1.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 51
Graeme,

Appears very similar to the 'American Car & Foundry' monogram. I'll upload their monogram later today.

TimG

P.S.
acf.jpg
They had numerous sites across the U.S. and I suspect that the 'D' at the bottom identifies it as their Detroit factory.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim,

I have a higher resolution photo than I was able to post here and it's not the ACF monogram as you show, but closer to "AS" although the S is a bit stretched. It reminds me of the Sturmey Archer logo, but the stamps on the case do not look like the British format.

Also I'm not sure that the US ever produced Bofors carts with the larger No. 18 primers?

I'm unable to be certain now, but I strongly suspect that this case was sourced from Sweden, hence my thoughts that it may be of Swedish manufacture.

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme,

In addition to your remarks I have looked further into A.C.F. Their war effort was nothing short of phenomenal, but the one thing they didn't make was cartridge cases. Also, the monogram shown above appears to have been used around the WWI period and by WWII they were using 'a.c.f.'

This makes interesting reading - http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/americancarfoundry.htm

TimG