What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torpedo pistol

The top is like mine but the brass part is different, The shear pin in mine is lead it looks like yours is copper. looks like you got interrupted threads that screw into the torpedo. If its a Robert Whitehead original it should be stamped with his initials RW.

It's a Whitehead Torpedo pistol and falls under the "Fan Pistol" type (a few type variations can be found) - circa 1900s and by the serial number is slightly earlier than the one Chris has (BMG50).

The Fan Pistols were the next to be developed after the basic contact pistols and the idea was to introduce a safety mechanism in order to arm the torpedo after launch. Once entering the water, the impeller would then rotate a minimum number of revolutions which moved the pistol's striker into an armed position, ready for contact detonation. In a nutshell, prevented the torpedo from exploding if accidently dropped /bumped during tube loading etc. From memory there was a nasty accident documented prior to this development.

The interrupted thread system was initially use before changing over to the continuous thread. The logic behind the interrupted thread was for quick insert of the pistol into the torpedo's head - i.e. drop and twist. In comparison, Schwarzkopf used a bayonet "quick insert" system (yes like a light globe but the "lugs" were on the inside of the opening, not on the pistol itself)).

A lot of the early Whitehead pistols only had the serial number stamped on them - later the initials "RW" appeared - perhaps to distinguish between the "under license" ones produced from Bliss etc.

Cheers
Drew

BTW - Make sure you read my "Signature" below!!! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Last edited:
Thanks, Drew!

Always incredible historical information explained like a chronological story. Time to reread your book again!

Jason

Very grateful for the information! The torpedo pistol is on its way to me now, and I will post some more pictures when it arrives.

A very nice pistol from a torpedo assembled during 1897, does it come from Norway? among the 420 torpedoes produced at Fiume during 1897, 39 were delivered to Norway, unfortunately the supply mark is missing, which is present in BMG50's sample from 1899 that has marks from both producer and customer.

Are you sure is lead? these pin were usually made out of phosphor bronze, with differences in the composition of the alloy in oder to achieve the same safety standard (a force of about 10kg falling from 0,50m) under different employement conditions.

Many thanks for the information! The pistol comes from Norway, but that is all information I have. Very interesting to hear that the pistol dates from 1897 and that 39 torpedos were delivered to Norway that year. Fantastic information! Question: How does the Fiume producer mark look like?

The producer marks are usually the serial number and the supply mark, more rarely the romantic initials of the owner. The supply mark identifies a certain supply (of torpedoes, tubes or compressors), it is composed of a letter standing for the nation (N for Norway, SV for Sweden, A for Austria, Ar for Argentina and so on) and a number referring to the supply itself. I don't have documents to identify the torpedo from the serial number, but here some considerations that might led to a very likely guess:

- Your serial number (5647) falls in the year 1897 and doesn't belong to a Swedish supply, just to cut off the next best option.
- 55x450/3,68 torpedoes were supplied to Argentina, Brazil, Norway and Japan between 1893 and 1897, I don't know the exact date for each supply.
- During this window of time, deliveries under different batches from Fiume to Norway happened on three years: 14 units in 1893, 23 in 1896 and 39 in 1897, among these 76 torpedoes 34 were of the above type.

Many thanks for this very interesting information! Attached an enlarged picture of the pistol and what looks like some type of mark.

Mark.jpg

Your serial number belongs to a batch of six torpedoes ordered by Norway (serial Nos 5647-5652). These 6 x 18" (450/3.68) Whitehead torpedoes were delivered to Norway between 21st June to 4th August in 1897.

In comparison, Chris's (BMG50) one with Serial No: "6597", was part of a shipment of 13 x 45cm diameter torpedoes for the Austrian Navy delivered between 8th April to 9th May in 1898 (serial Nos 6594-6606). Further there is a note stating that these torpedoes were fitted with gyros and had the Woolwich tail.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited: