What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.95 case

Thank you all for the posts it is really appreciated

I have been doing a bit of digging and the very early 15pdr Ehrhardt type guns were supplied to Britain with Ehrhardt shells from the manufacturers ( ref British Artillery Weapons and ammunition 1914 - 1918 page 219), so Minenaz 16 correct identification of proj so this is either a 2.95" case and 15pdr Ehrhadrt proj paired together or they may have experimented with the 2.95" with a Ehrhardt proj. measurement wise as mentioned in previous posts a 75mm fits in the same case.

Cheers

womble

Thank you all for the posts it is really appreciated

I have been doing a bit of digging and the very early 15pdr Ehrhardt type guns were supplied to Britain with Ehrhardt shells from the manufacturers ( ref British Artillery Weapons and ammunition 1914 - 1918 page 219), so Minenaz 16 correct identification of proj so this is either a 2.95" case and 15pdr Ehrhadrt proj paired together or they may have experimented with the 2.95" with a Ehrhardt proj. measurement wise as mentioned in previous posts a 75mm fits in the same case.

Cheers

womble

I think this is just a mismatch of case and projectile womble. There is no record of any experiments being conducted with different projectiles in the 2.95" gun. And the chances of the two pieces remaining together after firing are more than a little remote.

Burney Davis

Thank you for the post, it could be a mismatch as mentioned alternatively it could be right, the top an bottom is I guess we will never know.
The proj is in extremely good condition to say that it has been fired, and may have been recovered and placed with the case for assessment- strange that they are both the same age (within a few months of each other ) -I know this may be a long shot but stranger things have happened.
One thing I have learnt with this game is many things have been tried and many things not recorded, also not all the records exist or are available, which ever way it still is a nice case and proj.
Cheers womble

Last edited:
Burney Davis

Thank you for the post, it could be a mismatch as mentioned alternatively it could be right, the top an bottom is I guess we will never know.
The proj is in extremely good condition to say that it has been fired, and may have been recovered and placed with the case for assessment- strange that they are both the same age (within a few months of each other ) -I know this may be a long shot but stranger things have happened.
One thing I have learnt with this game is many things have been tried and many things not recorded, also not all the records exist or are available, which ever way it still is a nice case and proj.
Cheers womble

Yes but as far as I know, not exactly same caliber between 15pr and 2.95in and 2.95in shell is fitted with a crimp groove for the case (not on 15pr Erhardt).

15pr.jpg

Minenaz16

Thank you for the post, yes info details posted from pg 219 showing the 15pdr with no crimping, the crimping on this case had been redone to a point which appeared as there may have been a possible crimp groove on the proj, set the wheels in motion for a separation/divorce between them- which hopefully will not get messy.

Cheers

womble

Last edited:
I have found 3 Trench art cases and all were Mk111 cases, correct lengths with engraving and mouth ring. Only way they got saved from scrap?
It is nice to see Mk1 and Mk11 cases in the posts. The first 2 photos are the same case.

2.95" Vickers a.jpg2.95" Vickers b.jpeg2.95" Vickers c.jpeg