What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.95 case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, I picked this nice case up this morning, It's a 2.95 IN QF case Mk I * could anybody tell me what the other marking's are please, the case length is 159mm or 6 1/4 inches is this correct ?
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 2.95 mountain gun case.jpg
    2.95 mountain gun case.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.95 mountain gun.jpg
    2.95 mountain gun.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
the makers logo M over N is I think Maxim Nordenfeltd there have been posts on this previously. The groove around the primer is typical Nordenfeltd.

the makers logo M over N is I think Maxim Nordenfeltd there have been posts on this previously. The groove around the primer is typical Nordenfeltd.

Many thanks would I be right in thinking an A in a circle mean's its bean annealed and the dot reloaded once.
Best
Andy

Andy

Just had a look through my cases please see attached pic same as yours- this too is missing the pointy bit - that would be two hens teeth to find then.

Cheers Womble

DSC_0720.jpg

Last edited:
Andy

Just had a look through my cases please see attached pic same as yours- this too is missing the pointy bit - that would be two hens teeth to find then.

Cheers Womble

View attachment 168328

Thanks again Womble, Yours is the third one I have seen in 50 years of collecting, perhaps we will get lucky in the next 50 lol
Cheers
Andy

Andy

That would put me over the hundred by the end of the next 50, by then I think I may have forgotten i had one or what I was looking for, If I find two projs I take it you would be interested in one then.

It looks like I will have to unpack the crate of them in the shed if they are not that common.

Cheers womble

quick look in my notes not handbook and have the following, Shrapnel T&P No.56 will have to look up MK no., Double powder filled P No.12 (base), star T No.25

Minenaz16 and Andy

Thank you for your comments on the round

It is hard to read so cannot say if it is a Mk1 or Mk2, with regards the fuse is either a No 13 or could be a No 3, it has taken a knock where the number is but looks more like No 13.

Cheers

Womble

Hello,
Your fuze seems to be a 2in thread T&P so not No3 or No13.
Could you post a picture of the fuze ?

MkI and MkII shrapnel shells were fitted with 1in GS thread fuze (brass head screwed for MkI and brass fuze socket for MkII).
Both with large driving band. So very different shape as your shell. Strange to note so much modifications (late model or other 75mm ?)
Regards

2.95 shrapnel MKI.jpg2.95in shrap MkII.jpg

Last edited:
I can't say that I have seen a British shell with a small drive band like Mimenaz16 said are you sure its not a 75mm as they will fit, have you any more pic of the shell and fuze.
Cheers
Andy

Been having a dig around and could it be a US shell with a small drive band,
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• US 2.95inchMountainGun12.5lbHEShell.jpg
    US 2.95inchMountainGun12.5lbHEShell.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
  • US 2.95inchMountainGun12.5lbShrapnel.jpg
    US 2.95inchMountainGun12.5lbShrapnel.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 14
Minenaz16 and Andy

please see attached pics- top one is this as per what you where expecting to see proj wise- as per drawings - this does answer a question as to what proj this is, as it has been in the to identify department when I had time, I had shown this to 2 cartridge collecting Jedi masters who did not know what it was from- so hopefully this answer what it is- unless some one else knows what this is. Please see pics of fuse- hard to get a clear pic- sorry. many thanksDSC_0721.jpgDSC_0726.jpg
Cheers
womble

Minenaz16 and Andy

please see attached pics- top one is this as per what you where expecting to see proj wise- as per drawings - this does answer a question as to what proj this is, as it has been in the to identify department when I had time, I had shown this to 2 cartridge collecting Jedi masters who did not know what it was from- so hopefully this answer what it is- unless some one else knows what this is. Please see pics of fuse- hard to get a clear pic- sorry. many thanksView attachment 168355View attachment 168356
Cheers
womble

The clue was with a picture of the fuze !
As I imagined, the shell does not belong to the case.
Very similar to the 15pr shrapnel with T&P No58 type Erhardt.

Picture from Bocn (thanks to the author)

15pr.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Now I see why the right shell is called "double shell" !