Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Silly amateur question on rounds inert/display

Any advice please on drilling through rifle ammunition. They have been fired and the round has been collected so that they can be ‘re-married’ so I have the round itself and the brass case, now ‘useless’.
    However I have seen images of single holes or a hole all the way through.
    what are the suggested methods please?
    Mark

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 652 Posts
    Why drill a hole through a spent shellcase and a spent bullet to re marry it? Simply use one second glue.

Regards, DJH

Thanks
    Thanks. I understood that even small arms ammunition (inert/used) had to be rendered unusable. That is to say the casing cannot be used again. Am I confused with UK or European or nation specific requirements? I see some web sites when showing the ammo always show the holes too!!!!
    Please advise?

Mark

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 652 Posts
    I allways put a small nug or bearing ball in the shellcase so you can hear it rattle in moved. So anyone knows it's empty

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

Millsman (21st April 2021)

Thanks
    PZGR40, thanks for replying.
    Is the ‘rattle’ option recognised in all/many countries or just the Netherlands?
    I would be keen to know from the experts the DEU, FRA, UK and BEL requirements. Again it seems to me that those who display .303 ammunition, classed as inert, display, deactivated or any other term appear to all drill holes in the main body.
    Thanks
    Mark

Thanks
    drilling holes in case is a good way to satisfy everyone that its completley inert.if you load a projectile in a empty case with fired primer the round still has the look of being live and this may lead to problems,because ultimatley you cant tell whats inside

Thanks
    Mark, as a UK collector I can assure there is no problem with possessing fired cases or fired bullets. The only exceptions would be armour piercing & incendiary bullets. These would require a Sect.5 licence. There is no requirement to drill holes in cases. If you wish to put bullets back into cases then pzgr40's suggestion of putting a small metallic rattle inside the case is a good one but, again, there is no requirement to do this.
    Jim

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimiles View Post
    The only exceptions would be armour piercing & incendiary bullets.
    Same in my country.

Drilling holes or putting steel balls inside is some type of self control of the collectors here. Both ways may prevent in some cases that the cartridges are destroyed / unprofessional dismantled by police/EOD. In the worst case EOD/police don't have the knowledge to distinguish between a .50 cent and a 1000 € cartridge, having no good tools like an unloading hammer, no appreciation for collecting ammunition and they are not aware to destroy/damage other peoples private property. It is common practise here the seized items are checked by cutting (and destroying) them. Sometimes in rare small arms cartridges holes are drilled for inerting and to prevent damage to crimps or laquer. So a hole or metallic rattle inside MAY be useful for both sides.
    Last edited by Alpini; 15th April 2021 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Sirs thank you for all the valid advice. Whilst I am on the subject I wonder if the BEL or FRA requirements are the same. Last year a French collector had his trench art collection confiscated as the modern testing devices could still find”residue” even after all this time!
    Mark

Premium Member
    Thanks
    would add that live primers in or out of cases are now subject to new restrictions ie cant posses unless you have an FAC that covers their use eg you can have small pistol primers if you have say .357mag only on your FAC but you cant have rifle size primers or even large pistol primers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast