What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just never know what "pops" up............

Pretty incredible artifact. Doubt another one will pop up lol.

I have a torpedo gyro from the, Long Lance. The, Japanese torpedo engineering during, WW2 was pretty incredible.

Jason

Nice Jap torpedo warhead, but a bit pricey?

Hey Graeme,

That's a very interesting question re the price - I guess its more like "gold in the eyes of the beholder!" However once gone I doubt that you would be able to find another one!

Personally this item just doesn't appeal to me enough to warrant to spend $3.5K (otherwise it would be "hiding in the garage" by now from TOTMBO! LOL)

It is a RARE torpedo artifact and hope it does eventually find a great home - unfortunately not mine!

Funny enough it is the third torpedo head /nose that has cropped up over the years in Oz, however the others were British Mk VIII - this if of course much rarer.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Not an expert on japanese torpedoes, but that looks like an exercisehead to me...

Hey Havard,

I believe you are correct in assuming it is a practice /exercise head - not a warhead.......and not sure if it is even a Type 93 exercise head? Although, they did have a couple of exercise types for the Type 93.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• WarHead type 97.jpg
    WarHead type 97.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ExerciseHead type 97.jpg
    ExerciseHead type 97.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 17
...and not sure if it is even a Type 93 exercise head? Although, they did have a couple of exercise types for the Type 93.
Hard to tell, but according to the post-war USNTMJ reports, there were at least 4 different Type 93 exerciseheads. I have no drawings to compare to the Type 97 heads like the one you posted, but probably safe to assume they stuck to similar basic designs though.

Hard to tell, but according to the post-war USNTMJ reports, there were at least 4 different Type 93 exerciseheads. I have no drawings to compare to the Type 97 heads like the one you posted, but probably safe to assume they stuck to similar basic designs though.

Extracted from Japanese text referring to practice torpedo heads for both the Typ93 /Type 95:

"There are several types of heads for this exercise, a thunder road head equipped with a device to record the torpedo's running state, and the impact is offset by crushing the head at the time of hit assuming a hit at the time of the exercise. A collision head that does not damage the target or other parts, a water-driving head loaded with a device that floats from the cruising depth after cruising to facilitate recovery, and informs the position during or after cruising. The head was replaced according to the application, such as those loaded with devices such as smoking or light emitting"

So in summary:
> Thunder Road exercise head
> Collision exercise head
> Water exercise head