What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 211 fuze marker VATV?

Darkman

A friend has this 1942 dated British No. 211 clockwork fuze on a 3.7" AA round.
Fuze maker is marked as VATV, but this maker doesn't show up on the British WW2 fuze maker list.
Probably a Vickers Armstrong factory somewhere, but which one?
Also I think the 211 was a naval version of the land service 208, and is not correct for a 3.7" shell.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• IMG_9614.JPG
    IMG_9614.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 27
Vickers Armstrong Team Valley. UK but I don't have an address.

Thank-you Norman. Gives me something to go on.
Is it possibly Tyne Valley?

Last edited:
It is most definitely "Team Valley." I believe it was/is an industrial estate in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, that was built just prior to WWII with the view of alleviating high unemployment in the area. Gateshead is on the other side of the River Tyne to Newcastle upon Tyne, which is "Vickers Armstrong" country. It is about 7.5 miles from "VAS" "Vickers Armstrong, Scotswood" (Scotswood Road) where they manufactured No. 208 fuzes.

The No. 211 fuze was indeed the Naval version of the 208 and you can see the "N" suffix after the mark number.

TimG

It's definitely 'Team Valley', a trading estate just South of Gateshead and home to the Metro Centre. Depotman