What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze on the Pumpkin bomb

Antoon

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Who know what modelnummer impact nose fuze is used on the 10,000 lb. Pumpkin bomb.

The only thing I can find is that the 3 fuzes on this bomb where contact fuzes.

Greetings - Antoon

pumpkin.jpg

Well, the early prototypes of the FatMan had also these same three (then four on more advanced prototypes) pockets for standard U.S. Navy AN 219 (Mod 3 or 4) impact fuses (in case of failure of the mid air detonator). So this is most probably what was on the Pumpkin, which was "non-nuclear" prototype version of the Fatman.
BTW Fatman was itself the prototype of the Mk3 Nuclear bomb produced after ww2 (120 MK III bombs were manufactured and stockpiled between 1947 and 1949) which were equipped with 4 pockets for Mk219 fuzes.
However 49 Pumpkin bombs were dropped operationally over Japan by B-29s, belonging US Army Air Force 509th Bomb Group and the attached document from the NSA archive mentions in page 2 that they are fuzed for instantaneous explosion but "very shortly a proximity fuse will be available for it..." https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB162/10.pdf
The question of course remains whether these bombs dropped by these USAAF B-29 were equipped with Navy Mk219 fuse or with their equivalent standard army M103.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info.

There is never a Pumpkin dropped on Tokyo. In total 51 Pumpkins have been dropped on 6 different days in 1945 on Japanese cities in the area near the planned atomic targets.

On 20 July - 10 Pumpkins, 24 July - 10 Pumpkins, 26 July - 10 Pumpkins, 29 July - 8 Pumpkins

After each atomic mission the 409th Composite Group conducted other combat operations, making a series of Pumpkin bomb attacks on 8 and 14 August. Six Silverplate B-29s visually attacked targets at Yokkaichi, Uwajima, Tsuruga, and Tokushima on 8 August, bombing two primary and three secondary targets with five bombs. Seven aircraft visually attacked Koromo and Nagoya on 14 August. The B-29 #44-27296, Some Punkin with Captain James N. Price dropped the latest (conventional) bomb from WW-2.

On the 14th august 1945 also the largest bomb raid of the Pacific War was conducted bij 1014 bombers and fighters.

Greetings - Antoon

Last edited:
Hi Anton
I corrected the post while you wrote your answer. I put the hand on a NSA doc (attached to my post) that can help solve the issue (or complicate it..)
Best Regards

I have never heard of these before, the effect must have been noticable certainly, but I guess so overshadowed by the the other two
special bombs we never here of these Pumkins ~

The Bomb Group that was assembled to drop Little Boy and Fat Man over Japan, practiced extensively flying from Wendover Army Airfield in Utah, dropping pumpkins on the Dugway Proving Ground in Utah. The pumpkins were manufactured in both inert and Comp B filled high explosive versions. Both versions were weight matched to the Fat Man bomb. It was alleged that the inert target tracking versions were painted orange.