What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 how

2pounder

Premium Member
been restoring a 4.5in HOW shell and deciding whether to mark on its cal. and filling etc so looked at various photos I have and ones on line and noticed some shells have the lettering stencilled on ie with breaks in the letter where the stencil supports the inner shape and some are continuous as the letters are rolled on. It does not seem to be age related is it just the manufacturers preference? I can try either method but would like to get it correct.

All the original stencils I have seen are solid letters with no gaps, this is my 4.5 that I restored many years ago.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 4.5 HE.jpg
    4.5 HE.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 45
thanks Andy, nice job. Started with full letters in marking it up, still some questions as to what should be on it ie was the gas type marked on ie CG to match the bands? HE were marked +/- on weight. herewith photos pre and as far as I've got.
4.5 pre restore 2.jpg4.5 pre restore.jpgDSCF3358.jpgDSCF3358.jpg

Its looking good and well done, The only thing I can find is a filling date and marked if there is an exploder present.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited: