What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Granatenwerfer unusual model

Collector56

Hi, found this picture on the Australian war memorial site, it a model of granatenwerfer i havent seen before.
Describes as "Kleine granatenwerfer 16" produced late war.
Does anyone have information on these unusual priest mortars?

Attachments

• 3836904.jpeg
    3836904.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 80
The depicted item looks like a Rheinmetall development of the old "Priester Werfer". A hungarian priest Dr. Laslo Vecer offered and then sold this idea to Rheinmetall before WW1. See the attached picture of a "Granatwerfer 14". The "Schiessstock"(shooting-stick) had a dia of around 25mm. The stick/tube contained the firingpin and spring arrangement, the propulsion cartridge being contained in the winged shaft of the round. The above pictured item seems to have a larger dia (probably 40mm or more) and much longer "Schiessstock". I presume that its ment for larger caliber, more heavy rounds.Granatwerfer 14.PNG

Thanks for the reply, i thought the same but this item seems to have a hollow barrel rather than spiggot with firing pin (perhaps some parts missing)
Someone has suggested it was used to launch rope or phone cables across open ground, a device known as a kabelwurfer. Did some searching on google for this with no result.