What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 cm engraved.

Dandebur

Hello,
I thought to share the first case I bought. It was on a flea market more than thirty years ago now. This case appeared to me very big and I liked the engraving. Later, I learnt it was a case for the german 21 cm Mörser.
My English is very bad so I don't understand if LLOYD.LINDSAY is (are) one or two persons.
Regards,
Dandebur.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Hi Dandebur,

The spelling on this shell-case, which has been converted to a trophy, is wrong, - it should be Loyd-Lindsay!

Brigadier General Robert James Loyd-Lindsay VC, KCB, VD, was 1st Baron Wantage. Born 17 April 1832, died 10th June 1901. He was a career soldier, and was Colonel of the Royal Berkshire Volunteers. As such he was greatly interested in the Volunteer movement here in Britain, and was very high up in the organisation of the National Rifle Association. He donated several prizes for shooting competitions at both Wimbledon (where the NRA held its earlier Meetings), and later, when the NRA moved to Bisley in Surrey. One of the competitions was for mounted troops, where teams of a certain number of men had to race round a course set with a number of low jumps made from hurdles, and shoot at targets (I cannot recall whether they had to fire whilst mounted, or whether they got off the horse to do so, but I can check if you so require).

That competition was the "Loyd-Lindsay", and its form was no doubt replicated in several parts of the British Empire, and during the 1914-1918 war wherever mounted troops of the cavalry and yeomanry were to be found.

I think the competition at Bisley ceased after 1918, as the usefulness of mounted troops in warfare was very limited in the face of modern records.

Details of Lord Wantage are on the internet, as are details (to some extent) of the "Loyd-Lindsay" competition itself.

Roger.

A few further details I have found today, relating to the competition as held at Bisley in 1901.
The competition was for teams of four mounted men from each regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry, Volunteer Light Horse, Mounted Rifles, or Troops of Mounted Infantry.
The shooting was at 500 and 600 yards.
Each team could include up to one officer.
The Team was required to ride a course of about three-quarters of a mile, taking 3 flights of hurdles, and fire dismounted at the two distances.
Each man to load and fire not more than 5 rounds at each of the two distances, using his own weapon (i.e., the one issued to him).
Whilst shooting is taking place, the horses will be held by alternate half-sections, mounted, in rear of the firing point.
Ten minutes allowed for completing the course. Any team not finishing within 15 minutes to be disqualified.
Seven marks to be deducted from the aggregate score made on the target for every half minute, or portion thereof over 10 minutes that the team takes to complete the course.

The competition first took place in 1873, and carried on to 1901.
From 1902 to 1908 it was known as the "Mounted Scouts" competition, but reverted to "Loyd-Lindsay" in 1909 and 1910. It does not seem to have continued after that year.

Of course, various regiments and other bodies could run their own versions of the competition, with their own set of rules, which is what seems to have happened with your "Trophy"!

Roger.