What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Topfmine radioactive sand bag

BMG50

Premium Member
I am sure most collectors of German mines know the German non metallic Topf mine A 4531 came with a bag of sand that was radioactive called tarnsand. This bag of sand was laid down or the sand sprinkled over the mine so it could be detected for reuse or cleared using a special detector a Stuttgart 43 that was basically a geiger counter. I believe this was only found out after the war when major mine clearing took place in Europe. Anyone know what the bag looked like, any pictures. Did the Topfmine mine come in a wooded type crate like the Tmi 42 and 43.

Last edited:
the only thing i can add to this as a former WW2 German mine collector i was told by a Finnish mine expert the sand was found in a part of Austria and was natural accruing

Very interesting, I did not know this. Thanks for posting. Now I need to find a bag of sand to put on display next to my Topfmine. Just kidding, but I am curious if the bag the sand came in was labeled, and if so, how.

Hello,
can't help with any info on the bag, but the wooden mine crate was similar than the ones for the TMi - with other dimensions of course.
Here you go

Attachments

• TopfMi 1.jpg
    TopfMi 1.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 65
  • TopfMi 2.jpg
    TopfMi 2.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 62
  • TopfMi 3.jpg
    TopfMi 3.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 55
  • TopfMi 4.jpg
    TopfMi 4.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 47
  • TopfMi 5.jpg
    TopfMi 5.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 44
  • TopfMi 6.jpg
    TopfMi 6.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 42
That is fantastic MT-LB. I have not seen one of those transport cases before. Something else I need to keep my eyes open for. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Your Topfmine looks really nice, actually it is one of the nicest examples I've ever seen. Always good to see them with the transport handle, mine does not have that. Do you have the complete fuze assembly as well?

Last edited:
Here is a stack of them.

Attachments

• 0A3ECDC2-FE7A-450E-85BD-451FE4ABCA4F.jpeg
    0A3ECDC2-FE7A-450E-85BD-451FE4ABCA4F.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 59
tarnsand-transportkasten-verwendet-um-topfminen-zu-markieren-diese-bestehen-aus-glas-und-gepress.jpgTo enable the mines to be found by friendly forces, the mines were painted with a black sandy substance called Tarnsand (camouflage sand). Allied forces found that although the mines were undetectable by Allied mine detectors, German mine detectors could find the mines when they had been marked with Tarnsand. The secret of Tarnsand was maintained until after the end of the war, when it was discovered that it was a mildly radioactive substance and the German mine detectors incorporated a simple Geiger counter.

Last edited:
That is fantastic MT-LB. I have not seen one of those transport cases before. Something else I need to keep my eyes open for. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Your Topfmine looks really nice, actually it is one of the nicest examples I've ever seen. Always good to see them with the transport handle, mine does not have that. Do you have the complete fuze assembly as well?

Sorry no fuze parts only the housing made out of pressed cardboard

Attachments

• 20210912_115944.jpg
    20210912_115944.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210912_115954.jpg
    20210912_115954.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210912_120006.jpg
    20210912_120006.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 38
Here is a stack of them.

Great picture, thanks. I bet we all wish we had a time machine to go back and grab a stack of those.

To enable the mines to be found by friendly forces, the mines were painted with a black sandy substance called Tarnsand (camouflage sand). Allied forces found that although the mines were undetectable by Allied mine detectors, German mine detectors could find the mines when they had been marked with Tarnsand. The secret of Tarnsand was maintained until after the end of the war, when it was discovered that it was a mildly radioactive substance and the German mine detectors incorporated a simple Geiger counter.

I knew about the slight radioactivity, but did not realize it came from a special sand. Thanks for the information and picture. If that is your box, congratulations.

Sorry no fuze parts only the housing made out of pressed cardboard

Nice condition insert and glass lid. I have not seen a pressed cardboard insert before. Both the Topfmine I have now, and another I bought for a friend, have wood inserts. My glass cap is also a little different, the fuze pocket is offset to the side.

3303 (22) web.jpg

Last edited: