What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KWK43 Case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi All, I am restoring a steel KWK43 case, I have filled and primed it ready but cant seem to find a good brass spray that look's ok, anyone have any ideas tips? also I have seen a pic of one painted green (see pic), did they paint them ? I have a projectile waiting that I done a while ago.
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• KwK 43.jpg
    KwK 43.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 67
  • tiger case progress.jpg
    tiger case progress.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 65
  • kingtiger-5544.jpg
    kingtiger-5544.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 88 Projectile.jpg
    88 Projectile.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 58
I have been experimenting with different paints, Brass and copper spray and even aging it but had no luck, perhaps I am not skilled enough but anyway I was not happy and it looked horrible, I know the purest won't approve and I know some will say I told you so you should have left it be lol. but when I first bought it I was going to leave it as a relic but it had been welded up unbeknown to me, but when I received it it looked a mess. If it was just full of holes I would have left it, so I decided to tidy it up, I am going to spray it a dark grey to make it look like it has been Parkerised for now as I am sure It could have been done as copper and brass was in short supply.

I think its great to save items like this. OK if it was super rare and only a few existed you'd probably leave as is, but there's loads of KWK 43 rounds unfortunately for loads of money out there, so tidying one up and saving yourself a fortune has to be a good call. Dark grey sounds good, look forward to seeing the results.
Dave.

heres one i did using the paints shown,once it was aged it didnt look to bad

Attachments

• P1030691.JPG
    P1030691.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030693.JPG
    P1030693.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 45
  • P1040366.jpg
    P1040366.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 44
I think its great to save items like this. OK if it was super rare and only a few existed you'd probably leave as is, but there's loads of KWK 43 rounds unfortunately for loads of money out there, so tidying one up and saving yourself a fortune has to be a good call. Dark grey sounds good, look forward to seeing the results.
Dave.

Thanks Dave, And yes if it was a good relic I would have left it be, and there is no way I could afford a decent one so I grabbed the chance and went for this one, and I am very pleased with the outcome so far.
Cheers
Andy

Whilst I haven’t tried it, I’ve wondered if grey oxide primer coated in clear lacquer would look reasonably like a late war coating?

Whilst I haven’t tried it, I’ve wondered if grey oxide primer coated in clear lacquer would look reasonably like a late war coating?

You must be a mind reader lol as I was thinking of that the other day and have ordered a can of dark grey primer so will see what it looks like when I get it .
cheers
Andy

I will be very interested to see how it turns out. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Here you go peregrinvs, all done. sprayed with dark grey primer and lacquered.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 88 green grey.jpg
    88 green grey.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 88s (2).jpg
    88s (2).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Excellent work. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Out of interest, how did you get the filler so flat and smooth on such a large object?

Excellent work. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Out of interest, how did you get the filler so flat and smooth on such a large object?

Thank you, I turned it on my lathe, and used wet and dry sandpaper to get the finish.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited: