What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm Chinese Rocket

ron3350

I would like to identify this 57mm Chinese rocket that is marked 57MM 1A and possibly made in 1995.
There are 2 factory numbers. 380 on the head and near the tail and 542 on the body. Possibly maker and filling factory.
I guess it is an aircraft pod-launched rocket so any information is appreciated.

The overall length is 855mm. Does the fuze white band have meaning? The orange-red looks like luting for moisture protection.

57mm a.jpg57mm b.jpg57mm c.jpeg57mm d.jpeg57mm e.jpeg57mm f.jpeg57mm g.jpeg

Hi @ron3350,
I have no experience with chineses ammunition, but your rocket is a chinese copy of the russian S-5 . The fuze seems to be a copy of the russian HE-warhead fuze V-5M1 with the brown plastic raintip missing. With russian ammo the white band means "inert training ammo". I assume that the chinese copied the system.
regards,
Bellifortis.

As Bellifortis said, it's a Chinese copy of an S-5 series 57 mm air-to-ground (usually) rocket, or more accurately the S-5M high-explosive fragmentation (HE-frag) model.

It would seem to be an S-5M as there is only an external electrical firing connector plug attached to the end of the motor nozzle (see below).

S-5M Rocket Motor Contact Plug - 1.JPG

The S-5M1 is a different design, with contact plates and a plug system too (see below).

S-5M1 Rocket Motor Contact Ring - 1.JPG

The fuze, again as Bellifortis said, is the Chinese copy of the V-5M or V-5M1. The version used is dependant on whether the rocket is fired from and open-ended launching tube (V-5M1), or a close end launching tube (V-5M). And yes, a white band around the fuze body means a training version. And yes, its plastic ballistic cap is missing. A V-5M1, with its cap in place is below.

V-5M1 fuze - 1.jpg

Thanks. I was not sure which model S-5 rocket it was. So many types and lengths. The flat nosed fuze (missing the cap) fooled me too.

Thanks. I was not sure which model S-5 rocket it was. So many types and lengths. The flat nosed fuze (missing the cap) fooled me too.

No problem. I've written database entries on most of the S-5 series rockets and most of their fuzes.

For note, the earlier V-5 fuze doesn't have a ballistic cap, just a truncated conical cap with a hole in its centre that leaves the thin metal membrane that covers the fuze's striker assembly exposed.

A V-5 fuze can be seen in the image below (front row, third from the right), along with many other 57 mm S-5 and 80 mm S-8 rockets and their fuzes.

Sectioned S-5 57 mm & S-8 80 mm Rockets - 1.jpg

Hi @eggburt1969,
a very nice photo. Thanks. I have never seen such a diverse S-5 sectionmodel collection side by side. I wonder where that can be viewed. These seem to be all newer models (M1). The old russian ignition-wiring system (similar to the chinese shown) is more than 50 years old. I believe that here in the West this system is not used any more since 50 years. That would have to be very old aircraft where these could be fitted. May be some very poor nations that have no real airforce and improvise with very old (cheap) aircraft would use such rockets. On the photo I noticed that all full-body models in the back are painted gray colour while all the sctioned motortubes are unpainted natural metal colour. What's the reason for that ? Another question I have : Which type is the 3rd rocket from the right on the table ? The nozzle-tube is much longer than all the rest. This looks like a very early "Starling" development model from the 50s. The chinese model also seems to have this very long nozzle-tube, but the wings are of modern design.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Last edited:
I have seen photos of these rockets improvised for ground launch by terrorists / insurgents / militia / irregular forces. Whatever term is preferred depends on whose side they are fighting.

Perhaps old stockpiles are still being supplied to such groups.

Last edited:
Hello,

i am looking for the manual or drawings for the S-5P1 Chaff / decoy rocket. Second from left, red marked. Can someone help?

Great picture by the way...

Attachments

• marked.jpg
    marked.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 18