What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown ZZ42 Style Igniter modification

switch

Premium Member
I gathered this device up a few years ago, and have never found a definitive answer or a positive id. It consists of a wire and pressed steel adaptor which will fit over various types of ZZ42 style of igniter to convert it into a pressure igniter activated by pressure from above. Effectively, pressure on the prongs forces the pressed metal sleeve down the body of the igniter and at the same time the angled wires withdraws the release pin of the igniter, causing the striker to fall on the cap. The attachment is well made, certainly not improvised but I am not sure how well it would work, as it is a bit prone to binding as the sleeve slides down the ignitor body. It came from a very reliable source, but I have no idea of time period or country of origin. I believe it may have been deployed in snowy conditions.

zz1.jpgzz2.jpgzz3.jpgzz4.jpgzz5.jpgzz6.jpgzz7.jpgzz8.jpgzz9.jpg

Has anybody else seen one of these, or can you help with a positive id.
Thanks in advance, and look forwards to your opinions.
Cheers
Switch

The style of the three prong design reminds me of the czech post war bounding mine fuze.

I would agree with that. My thinking is postwar Eastern Bloc, but I can't find anything in any cold war manuals from either side.
Cheers
Switch

I knew that I had seen this many years ago, but I did not remember where. It took me some time to find out. It's from CZ. But, I have problems in understanding how it works. The pressureforce has to be transmitted 90 degrees to draw out the pin of the Ro-1. I don't understand chech language. So may be our well informed member from CZ can explain.CZ adapter.jpg

Hi Bellifortis

That's brilliant :tinysmile_grin_t: - Thank you ever so much. All we need now is a translator, but that is a great start!
Much obliged.

Cheers

Switch

Hi,
you are correct it is a Czechoslovak igniter Ro-1 with a special attachment called naslapka which literaly means step-on.
This makes a pull Ro-1 igniter a pressure igniter, the text in the manual claims it to be a cheeper solution to Ro-8.
The sleeve is attached on the igniter body and the fork is placed from above. The slanted part of the fork is placed behind the wings of the pull-out pin of the Ro-1. (Ro-1 was about half the price of Ro-8)
As pressure is applied from above, the sleeve slides down the igniter body, the angled wire forces the pin out of the igniter. (the DOWN movement is tranfered to the Sideways movement of the pin as Bellifortis correctly observed)

Bob

Last edited:
Evening

Thanks Nabob for the confirmation and translation. Much appreciated. Thanks also to everyone else who has contributed to this thread so far - another one off my unknown list.
Well done BMG50 - Good intuition, and spot on.
Cheers

Switch

Hi,
you are correct it is a Czechoslovak igniter Ro-1 with a special attachment called naslapka which literaly means step-on.
This makes a pull Ro-1 igniter a pressure igniter, the text in the manual claims it to be a cheeper solution to Ro-8.
The sleeve is attached on the igniter body and the fork is placed from above. The slanted part of the fork is placed behind the wings of the pull-out pin of the Ro-1. (Ro-1 was about half the price of Ro-8)
As pressure is applied from above, the sleeve slides down the igniter body, the angled wire forces the pin out of the igniter. (the DOWN movement is tranfered to the Sideways movement of the pin as Bellifortis correctly observed)

Bob

Hallo @Nabob,
this "Naslapka" system is outdated for some decades. Do you have any information on the general reliability of the system. It seems to be a very nice idea, just because its simplicity. But, how did it work in reality in different ground-configurations, stones, earth, sand. The sleeve has to slide cleanly for the system to work properly.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Hello Bellifortis,
I have asked around if there is a document answering your question. So far no results.
In Czechoslovakia it would be used for training only. AP mines were exported. If they used this attachment I do not know.

Will keep looking.

Bob