What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spigot Mortar launch cartridge

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone have a complete launching cartridge for a Spigot mortar, i believe the the part that holds the primer cap that ejects out the bomb when firing, like a PIAT was a modified 20mm Masden case, i believe there were two types of cartridge red marked and black, not sure what was the strongest or if one was for heavy and the other for light practice. Seen the PIAT cartridges but never seen a complete Spigot one, anyone got one to show.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of pics of Spigot Mortar cartridges from my collection, from memory I think the black banded one is practice. The holes in the sides are from being inerted. I don't have my reference files to hand, so if anyone else cares to add details, that would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_0023.JPG
    SAM_0023.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
  • SAM_0024.JPG
    SAM_0024.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 66
  • SAM_0025.JPG
    SAM_0025.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Tony and Alan. Interesting to see the semi rimmed and non rimmed one and the inside showing the cordite sticks. i have a red to half but not the bottom, What are the markings on the semi rimmed base.

Here is mine in red band, very thick for a casing.

Attachments

• 8AF42406-5BBD-4DA1-A777-FA5934296BE5.jpg
    8AF42406-5BBD-4DA1-A777-FA5934296BE5.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 744832B1-AA76-4B5C-A1BA-A273496EDB54.jpg
    744832B1-AA76-4B5C-A1BA-A273496EDB54.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The headstamp on the black banded one is : MADSEN 20mm K 39 A.P you can see where it has been machined down. I presume this is the original headstamp for the round. It also has 3 small punch marks around the case head, to make it a tight fit in the tube ?

Thanks Tony, have to find a Madsen case. I suppose you could tell if a spigot mortar emplacement was active and the direction of fire by finding the bottoms very close by.

Here is another one stamped SGC made from a shotgun type paper cartridge.
SPIGOT Cartridge_WEB.jpg

Last post from me on this subject, Pam 23 (1942) gives charge weights and detail as follows:-
A/T he 20lb bomb metal cartridge, 270 grains of cordite, inserted by the manufacturer.
A/T practice inert (sand filled) as above
A/T drill dummy cartridge which has a soft metal cap acting as a firing pin stop.
Practice inert 15/20lb bomb cartridge has a black band painted round it, 185 grains of cordite
HE 14lb bomb metal cartridge, 308 grains of cordite, inserted by manufacturer.
So the only version that uses a cartridge for propulsion that has to be inserted before use is the practice round, wch can be used up to 15 times, hence there should be more cartridges with a black band round them for collectors to acquire!
Alan1.

So the only version that uses a cartridge for propulsion that has to be inserted before use is the practice round, wch can be used up to 15 times, hence there should be more cartridges with a black band round them for collectors to acquire!
Alan1.
Hi Alan,
You are right about that.
SPIGOT Cartridges_WEB.jpg