What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

naval case

womble

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well, a friend sent me some pics of a round he has, not quite sure about this if it has been modified for possible training or if this as it should be, one other thought is was it made like this to test a winch etc. if anyone has any comments then that would be appreciated.

cheers womble

IMG-20210725-WA0001.jpgIMG-20210725-WA0002.jpgIMG-20210725-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210725-WA0004.jpgIMG-20210725-WA0005.jpg

Tim

Thank you for the post that is interesting, so at least it was made within the service and not a home made attachment.

cheers womble ..Mike

Mike,

You have what appears to be a reworked Mk 3-4 or 5, 4.5in Naval gun case. I believe the long code (3 " /70D2/L/8161/E/873 ) on the case is the RNAD works order for the conversion of the fired case that has been turned into the testing item in the photo. This would have been done at one of the many RNAD's around the country. Not sure what it was used for as before my time.

Rich

Hi All,

I have personally seen this case, and it is a 3-inch calibre case for the N1 gun, The case has had a piece fixed inside the mouth into which screws the domed top piece, which seems to be a genuine military item, from all the markings stamped on it.

However, I have no idea of the purpose of the item, or what test the case was supposed to undergo, unless it related to the fact that the case was brass, rather than the steel of the later, issue, round.

Roger.

Hi All,

I have personally seen this case, and it is a 3-inch calibre case for the N1 gun, The case has had a piece fixed inside the mouth into which screws the domed top piece, which seems to be a genuine military item, from all the markings stamped on it.

However, I have no idea of the purpose of the item, or what test the case was supposed to undergo, unless it related to the fact that the case was brass, rather than the steel of the later, issue, round.

Roger.

Nice One, I have just checked BR's and you are right, I didn't realize how alike they are and yes they are listed as steel cases. Nothing in BR's to show what this test case is for.

Rich

Thanks chaps for the posts, yet another mystery item .. was not sure if it had been modified for physical training instead of a dumbell etc many thanks anyway cheers womble