What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H82 tin introduction date

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
Does anyone know when H82 tins came into service? Earliest date I’ve seen is 1963… Also, would purple stripes on tin denote experimental ammo contained within, or that the tin itself was an experimental design (may have a trials item)?

I don’t recall what an H82 looks like, but purple stripes relate to the contents.

I’ve seen a few tins with stripes. The attached photo from the internet shows a tin with purple stripes, and the contents were experimental.

Attachments

• 20CD0A8A-1BAC-4D3B-9393-5010EF3191F4.jpg
    20CD0A8A-1BAC-4D3B-9393-5010EF3191F4.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 37
H82 appears identical to H84 - not sure what the difference is? Slimmer than H83…

So def experimental contents rather than experimental tin?

Would like that tin above!

The H82 is slightly larger than the H84.

H82 - 280 x 98 x 195 Vol m2 0.0055
H84 - 280 x 83 x 174 Vol m2 0.004

H82 was used for .30 belted and CS Tablets to name two, Carrier No 26 held four H82's
H84 mostly used for 7.62 linked, Carrier No 29 holds four H84's

Just for info Carrier No 27 is for two H83's and Carrier No 28 is for two L3 AT Mines. I believe it came into service in the Mid to late 1950's.

Rich

here's the tin... 7.62mm L2A2 ball was surely in service before 1963, so wouldn't have been the experimental contents purple bands denote, right??

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The deep violet paint also denotes trials. Thus, this ammunition which has already been accepted into service is being used in trials of some description. If you can work out those 'O.B. Proc.' numbers, one of us maybe able to look up the reference, I'm hoping to get to the Archives in the next month or so.

TimG

thanks, but can't make out whole code unfortunately... I've seen 'O.B. Proc.' in relation to trials - what does it stand for (Proc. = Procurement maybe)? would each trial have an 'O.B. Proc.' code?

O.B. Proc. - Ordnance Board Proceedings

The Ordnance Board Proceedings provide a record of issues considered at the bimonthly meetings and deal mainly with the design of armaments and munitions. (To quote TNA). Ran from 1844 - 1987. The number relates to the 'minute.'

TimG