What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No44 Fuze Caps

If WWII-era and British-made, then V. is likely the monogram for Valor Co. Ltd, Birmingham, and A.V. the monogram for W. & T. Avery Ltd, Birmingham. Both companies made fuzes amongst other things.

I think you are correct and the V indicates the fuze maker. If WW2 the mark would have been greater than II?
There was a Mk IIA No44 fuze so I am not sure if the maker is AV? I think both were made in WW1 period?

I checked my No45P fuze marked IX RL and it matches the MkIX fuze RL 3/25 so definitely the fuze maker. Thanks for the help.

A fair comment, Mark II is actually more likely to be WWI vintage. During WWI the monogram V. was used by Vauxhall Motors (1914) Ltd, Luton, and checking the contract listings shows that Vauxhall did indeed make No.44 fuzes of various Marks - see attached excerpts.

There is no explicit mention of a Mark IIA, but that detail aside I'd agree with you that the markings indicate both fuze caps were made in WWI by the same firm - Vauxhall Motors.

Attachments

• No.44 Vauxhall contracts_1.jpg
    No.44 Vauxhall contracts_1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
  • No.44 Vauxhall contracts_2.jpg
    No.44 Vauxhall contracts_2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: