What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 77mm K. Gr.16 questions...

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_7022.jpgIMG_7020.jpg

Hello,
Took in this nice 77mm recently, in pretty good condition for age, although sadly the Zinc band has corroded (as is usually the case).
I don't have a great deal of info on this piece, and in the books /manuals I have, this shell is absent.
It has an EKZ 17 fitted, (removeable) and dual bands. In terms of stamps '15??18' but unclear under the paint. Will investigate further....
Shell measures 264mm without fuse.

My questions are:
Could this shell be used as Gas or HE or both?
Was this shell only to be used with the EKZ 17, or could KZ14 be used?
Was the adoption of dual bands an economic decision (shortage of materials)?

Any information or technical illustrations would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Hello,
HE or Chemical filling.
No mention of KZ14

HE doc
7.7cm K 1916.jpg

A nice restored example (chem.)
7.7 K16 chem.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks as ever Minenaz16,
That s a nice restored example and just what I was looking for.
Cheers!

Hi MINENAZ16,
In the illustration you sent me of the K.Gr16, it shows the measurement of the base to driving band as 55,5mm. This , I think, might be an error? The lower band shows 26.5mm, which matches that on my example, and the distance from base to larger driving band is approx 33.5mm. Would you have any other info which might confirm these figures.
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers.

Hi MINENAZ16,
In the illustration you sent me of the K.Gr16, it shows the measurement of the base to driving band as 55,5mm. This , I think, might be an error? The lower band shows 26.5mm, which matches that on my example, and the distance from base to larger driving band is approx 33.5mm. Would you have any other info which might confirm these figures.
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers.

With good eyes I can read 35.5 (maybe it's 33.5 as you have a real example in your hand).

1.jpg

Hi MINENAZ16,
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers.

With good eyes I can read 35.5 (maybe it's 33.5 as you have a real example in your hand).

View attachment 172999

Isn't the 'distance from the base to the rear of the zinc-based band' equal to 'distance from the base of the projectile to the rear of copper-based band' plus 'width of the copper-based band' plus 'gap between the front of the copper-based band and the rear of the zinc-based band'? So 26.5 mm + 4.5 mm + 4.5 mm = 35.5 mm.

So as mentioned 35.5 mm, or 47 mm from the projectile's base to the front of the forward zinc-based band.

View attachment 172999[/QU
OTE]

Many thanks Minenaz16,
Yes, my wife said exactly the same, 33.5! I think I have to finally accept I'm not as young as I used to be! Time for a pair of glasses methinks.....
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi Eggburt1969,

Yes, that's what I sat here figuring out, various distances between each part and totalling them up, which as you say bought me to 33.5mm.
Just thought I'd put it out there in case I'd missed something....
Many thanks!

Sorry, I did not have any time to look for it earlier but here are some official meassurements from the manufacturing drawing set (35,5 mm are correct). As you see the dimensions of the lower driving band differ between iron and copper.

Attachments

• K.Gr.16 Copper, Zinc, Iron band.jpg
    K.Gr.16 Copper, Zinc, Iron band.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
That is exactly what I was hoping for, but thought this document might not exist!
Absolutely perfect, so thank you.
Many thanks to all other members for your help, you've been very helpful.
Cheers!