What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Belgian grenade DELATTRE

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
Until today I thought the rare and uncommon ww1 Belgian percussion grenade known as "Delattre" was dropped from early airplanes but this picture of Belgian soldier (I assume from special assault group) makes me think these grenades have been used as hand grenades.
Rare and interesting picture I wanted to share (found on the web, thanks to the author).

ww1 belgian soldier.jpgww1 belgian soldier - Copie.jpg

Grenade "Delattre" from collection (we can see some family traits with St Chamond-Delattre grenade for 142mm mortar) :
Belgian Delattre bomb.jpg

Last edited:
Le Courrier de l'Armee - 26 Octobre 1916

Delattre Infanterie Screenshot 2021-08-14 230938.jpg

Le XXe siècle: journal d'union et d'action catholique - 14 novembre 1916

Grenades delattre Screenshot 2021-08-14 232034.jpg

From these newspapers extracts it seems that throwing Delattre grenades by their fabric tails was a common practice among Belgian infantry in 1916, no less than throwing the Mills grenade.

Last edited:
The British showed some interest in Delattre's work and I think there are a couple of entries in the Ordnance Board/Committee minutes. The Research Department at Woolwich Arsenal produced the attached drawing.

Delattre.jpg