What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*British* PFM-1 training aid?

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
Picked this up at a fair today... assume this to be a British copy for training/familiarising troops on enemy equipment. Solid metal construction; grey-brown paint has worn away to reveal bare metal base. Etched on back is RTMC and 08/7... a quick Google suggests RTMC = Reserves Training and Mobilisation Centre (Chilwell) - would this fit?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

You might be interested to know that a number of foreign munitions were selected for reproduction as training aids and were allocated UK nomenclature and an NSN.

MILTRA were a major manufacturer of these training aids for civilian and military purposes.

The photograph shows a PFM-1. There were about a dozen instructional devices.

I expect the Chilwell product was cheap and expendable whereas the L17 was for classroom use only.

Exhibit-01 Instructional Mine Anti-Personnel L17A1 representing Mine APers PFM-1 [MILTRA 93].jpg

thanks mate... yes I've seen the above ones and I'd like one (Nath Stagg had one on QFA but I missed it) - if anyone has one let me know! btw, my metal one is for sale/trade :)

After neutralization, here is a photo to understand how the igniter works.
It's a PFM-1S.
PFM 1S (23).jpg
Regards

I've never found one of the PFM-1 dummies, but there were several similar versions for the BLU-43/44 Dragontooth. The far right off-green came from an E. German training kit. I've seen some other colors but haven't found them for my collection yet.

Sub 11.jpg

What are these in the red rectangle?

Attachments

• what is it.jpg
    what is it.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 34
Described as (meaning good story but no document) prototype for a 40mm grenade submunition, for dissemination from a flare-type body. Only ones I've ever found.