What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dutch bounding Mine No.18 with tilt fuze No.11.

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Dutch bounding mine No.18 with tilt fuze No.11. The bounding mine No.18 is a Dutch design mine from just after WW2, with design features from the S-mine 35 and the S-mine 44 incorporated; the mine has an internal pull fuze with a pull wire, expoding the mine appr. 1 meter above the ground (as with the S-mine 44), as well as a single pyrotechnic delay fuze (as with the S-mine 35).
In contrast to the S-mines, this mine does not use the double sheet metal rings with shrappnel inbetween, but uses a one piece cast steel fragmentation sleeve.

The mine is fuzed with the tilt fuze No,11. In top of the rod is a small hole to connect the tripwire to. If the tripwire is tensioned the rod is tilted. The rod has a flange at the base. Below this flange a locking bush is placed with a single groove machined on the inside; if this bushing is in the upper position (kept there by the firing pin spring) it locks up two steel balls in the inward position that keep the firing pin fixated in the spring loaded position. If the tilt rod is tilted twelve degrees, one side of the flange will hook under the upper rim of the fuze housing, as the other side (the side tilted to) will move downward pushing the locking bush downward. The groove in the locking bush now moves in front of the two steel balls which move outward, releasing the firing pin.

If the firing pin is released, This will activate the firing cap (red), which ignites a four seconds pyrotechnic delay, which ignites the black powder expulsion charge in the aluminium pipe.
The pull fuze of the mine consists of a firing pin with a tension spring, an U shaped strip of steel with two spoon shaped ends , and a steel ball that tightly fits between the two spoons. The steel wire is connected to the launching pot on one side, and to the steel ball between the spoons on the other side. The U-shaped strip with the spooned ends is placed over a radial pin through the firing pin. The ball and spoons assembly is placed in a conical hole, smaller towards the top. As soon as the mine is lauched and the wire is fully extended, the assembly of the firing pin, the spring (which tensions) the spoons and the steel ball are pulled backward, the spoons and the ball moving in the wide part of the conical hole which enables the ball the fall away from between the spoons, releasing the firing pin. The firing pin ignites the firing cap (red) which ignites the detonator, which ignites the mine. If -for any reason- the pull fuze does not function propperly (burried too deep in frozen ground or wire snaps), the pyrotchnic fuze in the side channel will burn up and ignite the detonator in the side fuze, igniting the mine.

The mine has been manufactured by PTR, PyroTechniek Rotterdam, a company with a staff of 30 persons, established in Hoek van Holland, taken over by AI (Artillerie Inrichtingen) in 1956. The company moved to Ossendrecht in 1967, and closed Januari 1, 1973.

Diameter mine : 103mm
Height mine body : 131mm
Complete height with tumble fuze No.11: 263mm

The follow up of the bounding mine No.18 was the infamous bounding mine No.23.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• pict 01 - AP mine No.18 cutaway.jpg
    pict 01 - AP mine No.18 cutaway.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Pict 02 - AP mine No.18 internal pull fuze.jpg
    Pict 02 - AP mine No.18 internal pull fuze.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Pict 03 - AP mine No. 18, titlt fuze No.11.jpg
    Pict 03 - AP mine No. 18, titlt fuze No.11.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for sharing DJ,
Could you post a picture of the other side of the tilt rod fuze Nr11, to see the general external shape ?
TIA

Like this ?
Regards , DJH

Attachments

• bounding Mine No.18 backside.jpg
    bounding Mine No.18 backside.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 29