What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MCAS Cherry Point, NC

sksvlad

My daughter went there today and took these pics. What was the function of that big blob sitting on top of Prowler's tail? This base has a nice big air show at the end of September, I am thinking of going there http://cherrypointairshow.com/
IMG_3337.jpgIMG_3339.jpgIMG_3338.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
It's an EA6B Prowler. 4 seat Pilot, CoPilot, and 2 Antiradar Officers. Jams RADAR and fires Shrike or HARM antiradiation missiles to destroy AAA radar transmitters/sites.

The missile under the wing looks like a Shrike Vietnam era. It used Sparrow components.

Last edited:
The same place, the same planes..but MY photos this time. What is the function of the tank with a small propeller hanging under the right wing?
DSCF2581.jpgDSCF2575.jpgDSCF2576.jpgDSCF2572.jpgDSCF2573.jpgDSCF2574.jpgDSCF2580.jpgDSCF2577.jpgDSCF2578.jpgDSCF2579.jpg

Fun fact:
On May 20, 1942, the facility was commissioned Cunningham Field, named in honor of the Marine Corps' first aviator, Lieutenant Colonel Alfred A. Cunningham. The completed facility was later renamed Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, after a local post office situated among cherry trees. (from Wikipedia)

Last edited: