Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,310 Times in 603 Posts

British 1943 bolo machete

A friend brought me this and asked me to put handles on it. He found it in the back of a traded in farm truck. Under a layer of cow shit and hay. He'd cleaned it off and removed the remains of the grip. He said it was just some rivets with rotted pieces of wood.

The only markings are JJB 1943 and the broad arrow. Tried a little to find the maker but gave up. Seems there were lots of folks making these during that era.
    I noted immediately it wasn't your standard sporting goods machete. It's quite stout. Sadly, no scabbard.

bolo1 (2).jpg bolo2 (2).jpg

It's very pitted and very rusty. The wire wheel treatment got the worst off. It is currently submerged in EVAPO-RUST.

bolo3 (2).jpg bolo8 (2).jpg

I found a piece of walnut in one of the piles that should be perfect for replacement handles.

bolo7 (2).jpg

Drilled. Will countersink the holes. And use (brass) screws vs rivets. The little bag of screws, nuts and washers was $16.48!

bolo4 (2).jpg bolo5 (2).jpg bolo6 (2).jpg

I found some brass washers in my stash and will be using those vs the copper ones in the bag.

Am anxious to see how well the de-rusting goes. Updates to follow.

On an ordnance note, I know this is not truly blow-uppy ordnance, but still a weapon, of sorts. In order to adhere to the rules, here is a picture of the latest technology in the hand grenade world. Much more accurate, as one might imagine.

scope (2).jpg
    Last edited by Slick; 17th August 2021 at 03:22 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (21st August 2021), pysall (17th August 2021), spotter (17th August 2021)

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 800 Posts
    JJB = J J Beal of sheffield

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Site administrator. damned if i do..damned if i dont

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spotter For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (21st August 2021), Slick (17th August 2021)

Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,310 Times in 603 Posts
    TAH-DAH!

Took a few "adjustments" to get the screws in and secured. A little Lock-tite on the nuts should hold it gootentight. I thought about peening the screw ends, but I'd already spent too much time on it. Ain't like it's General Custer's sword or something. There are discussions about a scabbard. Made a protector out of cardboard to keep from getting cut. Paper cutting sharp. That'll last a couple of swings into a tree limb. At least the edge wasn't abused.

AND, the grip is considerably thicker than the original. Allows for a much more secure hold. Thought about a lanyard, but it would just be in the way.

Here 'tis:

bolo12 (2).jpg

I just wish it was mine.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (21st August 2021), pysall (19th August 2021), sksvlad (2nd September 2021), spotter (19th August 2021)

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 800 Posts
    Good job piece of rust to a respectable blade again

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Site administrator. damned if i do..damned if i dont

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING