What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with identification please

pkm594

Ordnance approved
I have a bomb that I cannot find any information on. It has an allow body and a clear plastic tail unit. I am thinking a target marker. I am hoping anyone can identify them and maybe even send or upload technical information for me. There are no marking to speak of. It is approx 38cm in length and approx 75mm in dia.
235764165_10159649391855762_5423818042012612062_n.jpg

Those I can see fine, thanks. Not sure why I cannot see any of the others, may be a work computer/firewall type issue.

Doesn't look like any target marker I've seen, but it is similar in construction to some variations of avalanche control round I've seen. Where was it found?

Best pic I have at work, wrong angle and poor quality. Orange, blue, yellow pieces. Yellow fin is a Swiss piece, a long French one is not visible, the rest are US, with some other fins one shelf above. Pneumatically launched. I've seen maybe 20 variants, others are certainly still in development. Here is an interesting video that shows some detail of one version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vGogzOw00

DSC_8621.jpg

Thank you for this information, it is the best lead we have had so far. It was gifted to me for my workplace reference collection. This is used to teach basic ammunition knowledge and identification first principles.

Best pic I have at work, wrong angle and poor quality. Orange, blue, yellow pieces. Yellow fin is a Swiss piece, a long French one is not visible, the rest are US, with some other fins one shelf above. Pneumatically launched. I've seen maybe 20 variants, others are certainly still in development. Here is an interesting video that shows some detail of one version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vGogzOw00

View attachment 171257

your photos here US-Subs
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...e-Control-on-US-Railroads?highlight=avalanche

Thanks, at a certain point you start to lose track...

That is a really fascinating specimen. Even cooler that it could be for avalanche control.

Jason
PS: Sweet MK37 Torpedo Gyro, US-SUBS.

PS: Sweet MK37 Torpedo Gyro, US-SUBS.[/QUOTE]

$30 Army Surplus while visiting Ordnance one trip, roughly 1995.

Last edited:
That is awesome! INCREDIBLE price. I paid a lot more for mine.LOL

I think that style of gyro is one of the first, US designs to have a, "ANTI CIRCLE BACK," feature? I have a similar, early, MK48 MOD 0 gyro(s) of similar design, but larger and composed of 2 gyros attached to each other at their bases, that also have the same feature. If you pick them up and spin 180, you can sometimes activate the safety mechanism, hearing out click.

Jason

Update, I have been told that it is a rescue marker, apparently these are dropped by SAR aircraft when they want to mark an area. When the marker lands in the water they release the dye through slots in the tail.

The only thing in that drawing that makes me drool is that 155mm shell with the M43 submunitions in the red square. Can you put it in an envelope ad post it to me?:tongue:

Attachments

• DSC_8621.jpg
    DSC_8621.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 18
Close DJ, but more rare than you realize. It is a 175mm ICM round with drop dummy M43s. Here is a better shot from the other side.

Projo 7.jpg

Update, I have been told that it is a rescue marker, apparently these are dropped by SAR aircraft when they want to mark an area. When the marker lands in the water they release the dye through slots in the tail.

Canadian? Any paper provided with the ID?

The German Pi2 torpedo pistol at the rear caught my eye![/QUOTE]

The Torpedo pistol was donated, from the small (numbers, not size) collection of an EOD man that retired in 1964. Got that, a Spanish studded projectile and a certain bomb that he had drug home when he left his last unit.

IMG_0665.jpgIMG_0665a.jpg