What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German bounding Mine Sch.Mi. Dm31 with fuze DM 56A1B1

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a German Sch.Mi. 31. This is the abriviation of Schützenabwehr Mine, meaning anti personel mine. This mine was the post ww2 improved version of the S-mine 44, being more watertight. The mine is also effective against unarmoured vehicles.

The fuze on top of the mine is the pull fuze DM56A1B1 (DM = Deutch model/ German model). This fuze uses an activation ring (pict.3, green) that has to be pulled to the left or right by means of a trip wire connected to one of both rings. A pull force of 10 kg will activate the fuze, either stepping on the mine with an (axial) force of 5 kg. When the firing cap is activated, this ignites a 3,5 seconds pyrotechnic delay that ignites the expulsion charge in the pipe below the fuze. The expulsion charge consists of black powder in a celluloid container.
As the fuze is quite sensitive, a safety screw with a flanged screw is placed through the firing pin; when the activation ring is not in the correct position, the flange of the screw is pressed in the groove in top of the fuze and cannot be removed. This is to prevent the mine from detonation while being installed.

The mine is placed in a steel launching pot. When the expulsion charge of the mine is activated the mine is laucnched upward appr. 1,2 mtrs. before detonating. The mine and the pot are connected by means of a 1,2 mtrs long steel cable. On the side of the mine the cable ends in a shackele wit a pin that is stuck in the base of the spring loaded firing pin in the center of the bottom of the mine. The firing pin is placed in the firing pin housing and is kept in the tensioned position by means of two steel balls, kept in outward position by the pin in the base of the firing pin. As soon as the mine is at the end of the cable the pin is withdrawn from the base of the firing pin, allowing the balls to move inward, freeing the firing pin to move forward in the firing cap (red). The flame of the firing cap ignites the detonator above it which -on its’s turn- ignites the booster charge (grey) that ignites the main charge in the mine. The mine will project shrappnel 360 degrees around.

The mine is produced by IWK, the Industrie Werke Karsruhe (Karlsruhe industrial works)

Height of mine (without fuze) : 131,5mm
Diameter mine: 102mm
Weight: 3 Kg
Weight explosive charge : 0,51 Kg

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - Sch Mi Dm31 doorsnede.jpg
    01 - Sch Mi Dm31 doorsnede.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 02 - Sch Mi Dm31 achterzijde.jpg
    02 - Sch Mi Dm31 achterzijde.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 44