What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kajaki: the true story (2014)

sksvlad

A detachment of British Army is guarding a water dam/electric power generating point in Helmand Province of Afghanistan https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3622120/. They seem to have a guarded but peaceful relationship with native population. While on foot patrol, several of them walk into a dry river basin which looks like a natural walkway (remember the Nam lesson No.1 - never walk on the established trail during patrol). It is heavily mined and they fall into this trap. One after another they are drawn in trying to help their injured mates. The evac helicopter Chinook can't winch wounded up and replacement Black Hawks are delayed for several hours. Meanwhile, their medic is trying to deal with major surgical wounds in the middle of this horror. Based upon a true story.

Helmand Province produces 42% of world's opium. And that water is the life line for the poppies. The expectation is that there will be a major opium "sale" around the world after recent events in Afghanistan.

Why were they not provided with metal detectors? The soldiers have to crawl and poke the ground laterally with their bayonets to detect mines.

Last edited:
Non of the Afghan Opium reaches the US market. All the opium (and its derivatives) for the official market is produced in Australia (the derivatives in the USA) by very big international pharmaceutical companies. The US opiate-crisis has been in the news for many years now and the truth can be researched by anybody very easily. The illegal US opiate market is supplied nearly exclusively from south-american countries and the new synthetics come from China.

Most russian minefields were rocket artillery laid (PFM-1 , POM2), either helicopter laid and therefore not recorded.

So this minefield sat for 20+ years and locals never knew of it? And never walked there?

Of course locals knew the "about" position of the minefield, but no one clears them. Also, do not forget that plastic mines like the PMN1 and PMN 2 and the PFM-1 float and are washed away with water. A big problem in cleared area's that are mine ridden again after flooding or rising rivers in the rain season time after time again.
By the time the russians left many places in Afghanistan had changed into random minefields, I can remember a documentary about Russians who had fought in the Afghanistan war, and many wounded fell through soldiers stepping on their own mines.
And yes, civilians tend to stay away from area's they suspect to be fouled with mines and that are not absolutely neccecery for agricultural purposes or passage.

Last edited:
One last question: are plastic mines detectable by metal detectors? Do they contain any metal parts? I just disclosed what you have suspected all along - I know nothing about mines, sorry.

Concerning detctable; three kinds,

-Full metal, easily detactable
-Little metal (just firing pin and firing pin spring, aluminium detonator), difficult to detect, especially when stainess steel A2 (non magnetic) is used.
-Metal free, no metal at all, non detectable with a metal detector, like the Expal P-4A . I just placed it with the cutaway models as an example of a metal free mine.

And of course the enemy van make life difficult by throwing around hands of small nails in an area, continiously giving false signals

Last edited:
Thank for posting EXPAL P-4-A metal free anti personel mine

The mines are interesting but my wife is already unhappy.....

Too much unsorted ammo on the floor, I was thinking about buying this
00606_bOzcaZdVYddz_0dj0t2_1200x900.jpg
Just to make things worse