What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMN-2 anti personel mine, Russia

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Russian PMN-2 blast type anti personel mine. The PMN-2 was developed in the 70’s of the last century. The mine has a low metal content, however it does contains a number of steel parts: four springs, the firing pin , four screws and the arming pin. The PMN-2 is a cylindrical shaped mine which can easily be recognized by it’s black rubber cross shaped pressure cap. Due to the shape of the pressure cap the mine is quite resistant to explosive overpressure mine clearance methods.
As it’s predecessor the PMN, the PMN-2 has a relatively large explosive charge –compared to most western ap mines- that will not result in the loss of a foot or toes, but most probably with the loss of one or both legs.

The mine exists of a number of main parts: The mine body (A) with the explosives room (B), the body cover (C), the pressure plate (D), the rubber pressure plate cover (E), the filler plate (F) and a threaded lockup ring (G)
The inner works of the mine exist of; the arming pin (J) in it’s housing (H) , the arming key (K), the pneumatic arming delay bellow (L) with it’s spring (M), the firing cap housing (N) with it’s spring (O) and he lock up screw (P), The release slider (R), the release button with it’s compression springs (S), the firing pin with it’s spring (T) and the lock up screw (U), the booster charge (V) and it’s lock up screw and washer W).

The mine is made ready to be laid by hand or mechanically by pulling the arming key (K) out. This retracts the arming pin (J) that keeps the the pneumatic arming delay bellow (L) in it’s lower position, so blocking the release slider (R) from any movement. The spring (M) starts to slowly push the pneumatic arming delay bellow (L) upward, bleeding the air through a 0.05mm dia hole in the base. This enshures it will take approximately 3 to 5 minutes for the mine to arm. The frontside of the release slider (R) has a chamfered end that fits the chamfered end on the lower side of the release button (S). It is spring tensioned by the spring (O)of the firing cap housing (N) that wants to move both parts forward. However, as long as the release button (S) is not pressed downward, the firing cap (N) is kept out of line with the firing pin (T) and the booster charge (V). When the pressure plate (D) is pressed or levered down , the release buttom (S) is pushed downward and the chamfered edge of the release slider (R) slips over the chamfered edge of the release button (S), setting the firing cap housing (N) in line with the firing pin (T) and booster charge (V) just prior to the firing pin passing through the hole in the release button (S). This will activate the firing cap (N), the booster charge (V) and explode the main charge (B) of the mine.

Diameter of the mine : 120 mm
Height of the mine : 55mm
Operating pressure : 5 kg
Weight of the mine : 400 grams
Explosives content : 100 grams of TNT/RDX

The mine can be found in: Afghanistan, Angola, Cambodia, Chechnya, Eritrea , Ethiopia, Geogia, Honduras, Lebanon, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Tajikistan and Thailand.
The mine is mostly found in the colour leaf green, however brown coloured mines have been found too.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - PMN-2 mine complete.JPG
    01 - PMN-2 mine complete.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 02 - PMN-2 underside.JPG
    02 - PMN-2 underside.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 03 - PMN-2 cutaway model-1.JPG
    03 - PMN-2 cutaway model-1.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 04 - PMN-2 cutaway model -2.JPG