What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Round Box for No 36 Grenades.

ron3350

A friend has this wooden box for Australian No36 grenades stencilled for 5 Hand Grenades .
This is the usual box for 12 grenades and detonators in the centre marked ME 8/40 for filled at ME filling factory, Victoria.
Also marked Fraction Lot 26. Does this mean that this box only contained 5 grenades as a fraction or part of a lot or filling?
It has the base plug remover in the lid and is a nice example. I have not seen a box for 5 grenades before. Info is welcome.

No 36 Box b.jpegNo 36 Box a.jpeg

On that basis could it have been a box sent for testing, if testing was not done at the factory or filling site?

Most likely to be at issuing level where the box has been opened, part of contents issued, box subsequently resealed.

TimG

what is the branding on the bottom of the box say as thats what the box was originally intended for

It is not my box or photo. It was on internet for sale or may be already sold. Thanks for the information.

As Tim said, Fraction means it is not a full box. In one of my depot postings I worked in the "Detailed Issues Group (DIG)" for a few months. It was very interesting as I saw many different natures of ammunition. The whole purpose of the DIG was to support the depot in ensuring the exact quantity of ammo for issue was prepared to be sent out. This meant getting in whatever Fraction container might exist for a lot or batch of ammo, together with a full box of the same lot or batch, open both and select the correct Fraction amount for issue. This might be more than was in the original Fraction box, in which case some had to be taken from the full box, and both boxes then had to be stencilled with the correct quantity they now contained and FRACTION or FRAC in white, added to the box that had been full. Sometimes if there were only full boxes and a Fraction amount was needed for issue then we had to get an empty box and stencil it from scratch, put in what was needed from the full box and stencil that as a Fraction together with the new quantity it now contained. Ammo for fractioning that was in old or unusual boxes often had to be fractioned for issue into more universally available boxes such as the H83 or H50 and internal packaging was waxed brown paper, enough to keep the contents safe and undamaged.

Last edited: