What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual No.150 Fuze

ron3350

Here is a weird Australian No150 fuze that may be some booby trap or bomb pistol?
It is not my photo or collection. Any thoughts welcome. About 9 inches overall length. No 150 was a 3" mortar fuze.

View 1.jpgView 2.jpgView 3.jpegView 4.jpeg

Interesting device.
Makes me think to ww1 mortar 3in time pistol bomb system with an arming lever and 2 safety pins.
We can imagine that on fire (two pins removed) with inertia, the ring goes down compressing the large spring. So the lever is released at the bottom and then same operation as mills system.

Last edited:
Basilisk
Very interesting data on page 91 about the Shell QF Star 25Pr (Aust) Mk1 uses the BE Smoke shell body.
See my 25Pr collection photos thread. I wondered why a smoke was converted or used as a Star shell.
That unusual No 150 fuze I can access for some exploded photos of inner parts . I will have to ask and receive it.

Well I know I for one would love to see the internals, because all that stuff hanging out the front is clearly is a bodge but at the same time it also looks like a lot of work went into making it what it is. So somebody thought it was a useful thing to do. And I think MINEAZ16 is right it is supposed to release the lever on being fired, so a mortar launched air burst propaganda dispenser kind of fits. If it has grenade-like time delay parts inside.

3" Propaganda a.jpg3" Propaganda b.jpgGreat new information. Here is the Propaganda 3" mortar with fuze fitted, leaflet carrier has Japanese language leaflets inside. No photos of carrier or leaflets.