What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pdr manufacturer

doppz92

Premium Member
Hi, can you help me identify the manufacturer's mark on these two 18-Pdr ? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 34
EOC - Elswick Ordnance Co.
CCS - Canadian Cartridge Co., Hamilton, Canada.

TimG

Canadian Cartridge Co. had two different headstamp monograms: CCC and CCS. I read somewhere that the original stamp of CCC was changed to CCS after they had made one million cart. cases. The S for Second million? I can't remember where I read this or vouch for the veracity of it.

Thanks Darkman and TimG. Is there a list of all the cases manufacturers and their marks available somewhere?

The Canadian Cartridge Co. used four variations of monogram: CCc, Cc, CCs and CCo, and the first three all occur on Lots made from at least October 1915 to June 1916. Thereafter CCs is the most prevalent monogram, with some CCo occurring from at least August 1916.

The EOC casing has a primer made by the Melotte Separator Sales Co. Bristol (the site is almost local to me), and filled at Perivale. The casing was from one of the two Armstrong Whitworth contracts, as per attached extract.

Attachments

• Armstrongs 18-pr crts.jpg
    Armstrongs 18-pr crts.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 18