Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Thanks

Mills No.36 brass centre tube markings

Hi,

I’m in the process of fettling a dug WWI Mills No.36 back to some of it’s former glory and an acid bath has revealed what look like maker marks on the base of the centre tube.

I can’t make them out - does anyone recognise them? I’ve never seen a Mills centre tube marked in this way before.

I was also surprised to find the centre tube was brass as I had thought up to now that the WWI No.36 tubes were only aluminium. Is this a rarity, or was I just labouring under a misapprehension?

Cheers,

Mark
    9ED4795A-C0AD-4A43-867A-18031E9951E3.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peregrinvs For This Useful Post:

Zorro (3rd September 2021)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinvs View Post
    Hi,

I’m in the process of fettling a dug WWI Mills No.36 back to some of it’s former glory and an acid bath has revealed what look like maker marks on the base of the centre tube.

I can’t make them out - does anyone recognise them? I’ve never seen a Mills centre tube marked in this way before.

I was also surprised to find the centre tube was brass as I had thought up to now that the WWI No.36 tubes were only aluminium. Is this a rarity, or was I just labouring under a misapprehension?

Cheers,

Mark

The centre piece is made by Oritur Manufacturing Co. Ltd. and bears the patent application number 9614 of 1916, duly granted as Patent No. 106555. See below for a clearer example.

Extant No.36 MkI centre pieces seem to be mostly aluminium, but composite brass are not uncommon; and also found are lead-antimony with a copper or brass detonator sleeve, and sometimes a brass centre sleeve. If you are really lucky you might come across a composite steel or cast iron centre piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snufkin For This Useful Post:

paul the grenade (2nd September 2021), peregrinvs (3rd September 2021), Zorro (3rd September 2021)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 502 Posts
    They are not that rare. Maker marked ones are though.

I've got one marked with a small symbol that Snufkin identified as Barker Bros - a firm of jewellers.

RSCN8441.jpgRSCN8440.JPG
    Last edited by Millsman; 4th September 2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Author of 'British Rifle Grenades of the Great War' and 'Mills Grenade Development 1915-1918'.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Millsman For This Useful Post:

peregrinvs (4th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thank you for the replies. Very informative.

One of the aims with this is to separate the centre tube from the casing - without damaging either. All suggestions gratefully accepted. I assume blowtorch levels of heat will melt the solder holding the parts of the brass centre tube together?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 502 Posts
    Put it in the freezer for a couple of days. The brass will shrink more than the cast iron and hopefully will come out.
    Author of 'British Rifle Grenades of the Great War' and 'Mills Grenade Development 1915-1918'.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Millsman For This Useful Post:

peregrinvs (4th September 2021)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    DSC_0037 (17).jpgDSC_0036 (18).jpgHere is another brass centre tube made by Messrs Bailey & Mackey Ltd, Birmingham. I m assuming its an early one as it has 2 notches in the threaded rim to facilitate screwing it in and it seems to be coated in some sort of sealant, could be shellac which must have been discontinued as I have never seen it before on the huge amount of centre tubes ive come across in the past.

Andy
    Ime the twat in the middle.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gothica7 For This Useful Post:

Millsman (9th September 2021), peregrinvs (9th September 2021)

Thanks
    Apologies if this is a daft question... but are the threads for the filler plug the same on the WWI and WWII Mills No.36? I ask as a repro WWII filler plug won’t screw in and the threads on the grenade aren’t obviously damaged.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    the only ones different in WW1 WW2 series No36s are the south African ones.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to millsbomber For This Useful Post:

peregrinvs (24th September 2021)