What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

" Roll Britania" I was gifted these today ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
Given the recent madness for rolls of these, as Vintage must be worth a fortune now ~ :xd:
Will display proudly in my study ~
Must bring back some memories (possibly horrible ones) to some members - No3 seems thin enough, what did
British rail use No 1 ? Sorry lads no dates or Crowsfeet marks ~

Attachments

• SDC17821.jpg
    SDC17821.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 60
I get the gist of it, maybe half of it. Obviously, it is OLD toilet paper. Was it used by military, or specific to a railroad use? Maybe some history to go with it, because I am really in the dark. By the time I got to the States, passenger railroad use was in terminal decline. So I know words like "Pullman" but no emotions or associations. I did take my twins to Florida by using car train once, when your car is loaded into the back of the train, and you go to the regular coach overnight, then in the morning they give you your car back, but then you are in Orlando.

I remember "Izal medicated" toilet roll which was in the outside loo at my maternal grandparents' home. It was like tracing paper and equally non-absorbent. Such fun! Still, it was a step up from the newspaper on a string that my mum informed me was all they had for toilet paper in WW2.

It's civil use as far as I know, but the ww1 No3 wrapper is reproduced for re-enactors and one chap claimed to have gotten a box of ww2 issue No3 also.
If No 3 is so bad as it looks, the No1 thin must have been terrifying ~
I find that one can justify having most anything if a reputable museum also has it in thier collection :xd:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.20.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.20.51 PM.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I could never work out the logic to "shiny", slippery, non-absorbent toilet paper like the rolls that used to be found in public toilets, on trains etc.

Apart from being cheap, nasty and basically ineffective - except for smearing the "mud" all over one's backside when attempting to wipe the sh^& off!!!

Now I know why they were never "stolen"!